The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Avacado Leaves browning

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Avacado anyone?| Next thread: avacado questions »
Back to Thread index
by Pixilated on January 04, 2004 01:25 AM
I tried pinching my new Avacado tree at 12 inches but it continued to grow straight up.At nearly 18 inches the leaves were lush and large. But now they are turning brown around the edges. Could this be over exposure from taking outside of sunny days or does this indicate something more serious? This is the first for me so I decided to "ask the expeienced" before taking to my local garden store and being sold some chemical.
Any hints on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
Also is it folly to expect fruit in Texas - [clappy] Tommy@Nationwide.Net any time soon?
Thanks Yall!

Pixilated
by Jiffymouse on January 04, 2004 01:39 AM
[wayey] hi pixilated [wayey] i like your name, that is cool. i don't have your answer, but wanted to welcome you to the garden helper. we have several folks who are familiar with your type of quesiton, and if you are patient, they will all be around in the next day or so. let us know the outcome, we are a curious bunch of gardeners!
by weezie13 on January 11, 2004 10:45 PM
Hello Pixilated [wayey]
I Don't think I've gotten to Welcome you to
The Garden Helpers Forum, I'm slow this week!
Welcome, Glad you found us!! [thumb]
I have a real quick question for you?
Is this a house plant?
Or an outside plant?

If it's a house plant, I may move it to the HOUSE PLANT section,????? [dunno] If it's an outdoor one, I'm going to hold off moving it and see if our wonderful, ever knowledgeable Papito would answer this.... Papito knows alot about fruit trees........
So, hold on, answers will or should be here soon!

Have you taken it to the local nursery yet???

Weezie

By the way, I hope you'll stick around and enjoy the site, we've got a bunch of new sections here, from crafts and hobbies, to recipes, banter hall for chatting, *we've got alot of TEXAN"S here, Peppermintlily and Njoynit, TxWildflower, and oh, a bunch more, can't think right now!) but join in. There's a game section we just added for some jokes, and games. Lot's to do here.
If there's an answer you know, don't hesitate to answer, it only takes one member to know the answer to a question asked!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Pixilated on January 12, 2004 03:22 AM
Thanks for the reply Weezie.And for the sweet words of welcome.
My Avacado is best described as an experiment.I have this thing about putting things in water to see if it will grow. I find pods everywhere even as I travel and then bring them home and try to start them. So now( with the ave. temp outside 30-50) it's an indoor plant. When it warms I intend to transplant it outside in a sunny location. Texas has lots of that! As long as the seeds are thicker than say, paper I'll try to reproduce. I'm amazed to see how easy it is. This past summer we had all the red peppers we could eat just from saving some seeds from a grocery product.
I had started an Avacado many yrs ago but didn't know what to expect then either.
Anyway this is one reason I'm so excited about this site.I just kbow there are real gardeners out there that can save me a lot of 'wondering'.
I'm more comfortable with plants-particularly tropicals that are 'wintering' right now.Starting seeds helps fill the void of winter.
Anything you run across would be helpful.
I am gonna have Avacados this summer!
Nice to meet ya Weezie!
Pixilated

Pixilated
by catlover on January 12, 2004 06:35 PM
I did a little research last night and posted in the houseplant section about avocado trees. "Avocado info"... There may be some beneficial info that could help you! Not sure if it mentioned browning leaves. May or maynot help!
Catlover [dunno]

-
 -
 -
by gardengal on January 19, 2004 09:39 PM
Hi there. [wayey] Welcome to the forum. I think Texans may be outnumbering us Californians or Weezie's New Yorkers now! From my experience with avocados, browning leaves tends to be from lack of water. But if you are moving it in and outdoors then perhaps its just trying to adjust to climate changes. My tree is in the ground and about 20 ft tall, so I can't really move it. [Big Grin]

Avocados do not like to be cold but they do tolerate a light frost. We had some nights into the low 30s, high 20s and the tree is hanging on just fine. My dad has a grove of trees and when temps drop that low he turns on the sprinklers to keep them warm, since the water coming out is in the 50s. Most avocados produce buds in the spring, protect them from the wind and buggies (thrips esp.) and by next Dec. or Jan. you should have fruit. Dec. and Jan. are when they have the best oil content according to some people, but really you can pick them whenever they are a size you like. They don't ripen on the tree so when you pick them, leave a bit of stem and they will ripen quickly for use in all sort of recipes. I love avocados.

Here is a website about growing avocados, especially for Texans. Enjoy!

Come back often and let us know what's going on in your neck of the woods. [gabby]
Texan avocados

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by papito on January 23, 2004 11:25 PM
Avocados are self-fruitful, that means they will bear fruits even without pollination. However, pollinated avocados will yield better quality fruits. Grafted avocados will bear fruits in 2 to 3 years. Avocados grown from seeds will bear fruit in about 8 to 12 years.

Browning of tips and edges (leaf margins)of leaves may indicate the presence of a pest (leafhoppers), or disease (late blight) or cultural problems (leaf scorch or salt damage).

I think your problem is either leaf scorch or salt damage. The problem you described is similar to the 4 avocado plants we have in containers. Avocados are sensitive to soil moisture. Too much water is as danagerous as too little water. Let the soil dry up between watering. Poke a finger, a chopstick or a twig an inch through the soil...if moist or damp, no need to water; if dry, water at once.

Salt damage could be from excess salt in soil or salt from fertilizer. They are leached by rainfall or if no appreciable amount of rain, by watering. Watering will reduce salt.

Leaf scorch and/or salt damage(due to cultural problems) are not fatal and will not kill the avocado tree.

Late blight transmitted by leafhoppers are fatal.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Pixilated on January 24, 2004 12:26 AM
Thanks Papito, I think you hit the nail on the head. Too much watering.I did read somewhere that they loved water but maybe that refered to a mature tree in ground.
Thanks also to Gardengal & Catlover. The links from A&M were especially helpful and good links to keep.Needless to say I've read enough about Avacados to change perspective but since they are several ft high now will keep them, but will look for the Lulu variety.
Yall are so much help! I just love this site, just wish I had more time right now. Have several projects in the can plus a new 3 week old grandaughter.But very soon, for us in Texas, it will be time to get some more stuff started,then this will be my #1 pastime!!
Thanks yall 'apreciate ya!
Pixilated

Pixilated

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Avacado anyone?| Next thread: avacado questions »
Back to Thread index