The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

TeaTime

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Phil and Laura on January 03, 2004 07:16 AM
Planning ahead makes for a good garden.Yes, I am a organic gardener, and Weezie, we could talk forever about the contaminates in that municipal compost,About the chicken doodle, really hot stuff, compost it,or, do as I do. Take a large plastic barrel, a burlap bag and make yourself some tea [muggs] Uhh, not for you, your plants! about 25 pounds of poop, in the bag and 50 gallons of water,put in that container,closed up and set in the sun fer a week or so makes a great booster for your plantings,CAUTION!! [clappy] Dilute : !quart of tea makes 4gallons of juice [thumb]
by Jillie on January 03, 2004 02:47 PM
Good Morning, Phil and Laura [wayey]
What a great post! I think a bunch of us will use that one.
Here's another "tea" for the garden that I use for controlling the gnats that can live in the soil of our succulents:

1 Cup of cheap pipe tobacco (purchased by the can)
4 Cups of very hot water

Let it steep for about three hours (or more, if you want to just leave it overnight).

Strain into a spray bottle after it cools & then go gnat-hunting. Throughly soak the soil around the plant with this stuff and the gnats will disappear. During the "season," you'll have to do it two or three times for total control.

This concoction CANNOT be used on ANY of the nightshade family (did I find out the hard way that nasturtiums were a family member? Yup. 'maters, too).

-
 -
by Phil and Laura on January 03, 2004 04:10 PM
Nice addition Jillie, and it does work!! Tobacco mosaic is the culprit on the fallen ones [Eek!]
Another concoction in the tea machine is: stinging nettle, eqisedum and plain ol' grass, just make sure none of the co,ponents have gone to seed!!! [Roll Eyes]
by barleychown on January 03, 2004 04:46 PM
I used an alfalfa tea last year on my roses...it made them very happy! I will definitely use the 'teas' again this year. [thumb]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by weezie13 on January 05, 2004 10:43 PM
compost tumbler tea

Here's the link I was telling you about for the compost teas.....
I had so much fun with it last year...

Weezie

Also something Nikkal posted too about it, some good info, I never realized.... Nikkal's post on compost tea.

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: