The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cookie Press HELP!

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Cooked Rice Cereal| Next thread: Cookies and other yummy things »
Back to Thread index
by Cricket on December 13, 2004 09:42 AM
I have spent the past 3 hours with a cookie press; instead of Christmas cookies, I ended up with 3 dozen (yes, that's it!) mishapen TROLL cookies and 2 sore wrists! [Frown]

This is only the second time I've used a cookie press - the first time using a different recipe that was too thick to even go through the press!

This recipe is a softer dough that won't drop onto the cookie sheet! Both recipes supposedly are for pressed cookies.

What am I doing WRONG?! Is there some secret magic trick to using a cookie press?

I'll keep checking in for replies as I continue the fight.....
by Cricket on December 13, 2004 10:18 AM
The plastic plunger end warped - now cookie dough just leaks around it up the sides of the barrel. [Mad]
by weezie13 on December 13, 2004 04:55 PM
What kind of cookie press is it Cricket???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on December 13, 2004 06:33 PM
Cricket,
I just dug out my recipe booklet that came
when I went to a "Wilton" AT HOME party..
I have a "Wilton; "Impressive" Decorator Press"

BUTTERY SPRITZ COOKIES:
Total preparation & baking time: 45 minutes

Before you begin you will need:
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons Vanilla (they used Wilton at home van.)
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 container (16 ounces) ready~to~spread vanilla or chocolate frosting.....

Step 1: Preheat oven to 400F.
In a large mixing bowl,
cream together butter and sugar.
Add egg and vanilla.
Stir together flower and salt.
Gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture, mixing to make a smooth dough.

Step 2: Place dough into "Impressive" Decorator Press and press cookies onto ungreased Texas Bake Sheet. Bake at 400F for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are just light golden brown.

Step 3: REmove cookies from sheet; cool on rack.
Fill clean "Impressive" Decorator Press tube with frosting. Using decorating tips, decorate cookies as desired.
Makes 10 to 11 dozen.

**I don't know if they still sell all this stuff,
the baking sheets for example, I know they don't do home party's any more. But they may be available in stores..
But I included this info in this, as I copied from the Wilton AT HOME brochure and wanted it to be the same as they typed it up, just in case???????

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on December 13, 2004 07:12 PM
This too came from the Wilton AT HOME party brochure...

Im "Press"ive Sugar Cookies
Total preparation and baking time: 20 minutes

Before you begin you will need;
1 package (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1 container of ready~to~spread frosting, any flavor, chocolate, vanilla, cream cheese, etc.

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350F.

Step 2: Place dough into Wilton's "Impressive" Decorator Press and press cookies (6 rows of 5 cookies) onto an ungreased Texas Bake Sheet.
**Ditto from previous post*

Step 3: Bake 6 to 8 minutes util edges are lightly brown. Remove cookies from sheet; cool on rack. Fill Dessert Decorator with the frosting and fit with star tip.
Pipe stars and sandwich tow cookies together for a quick sandwich cookie. Pipe stars in the middle of the flower/star shaped cookies,
Used the round writing tip to pipe zig~zag lines of icing over cookies or for dots.

Cooks' Tip: For a hint of lemon, add lemon zest and yellow food coloring to vanilla frosting...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Cricket on December 14, 2004 01:18 AM
Thanks, Weezie,

Yes, mine is a Wilton Cookie Max Press; the second recipe I tried is a spritz cookie recipe from Wilton's website, so I THOUGHT it should work.

There must be a trick to using them though. I place the press on the cookie sheet, click up one notch and press handle but most of the time either the cookie won't release from the press or falls apart in crumbles, or just "smooshes" onto the sheet. I've even tried cutting it from the press with a knife but that doesn't work too well either - the cookie usually just falls apart.

I have a couple Christmas pot lucks to attend in the next week and was hoping to bring fancy, decorated cookies but I've spent WAY too much time on these for poor results. Although I hate to let a kitchen tool get the better of me [Frown] , perhaps I'll think of something else to bake. (Sigh!)
by weezie13 on December 14, 2004 06:29 AM
Cricket,
I've used the first recipe, not the second,
which is the pre~made cookie stuff from the
grocery store...
I personally thought it might be too much for
the press and never used it..

got a question for you, was the dough cold or
room temp????

If it was too cold that may have made it too hard for the press to work right...
And if it was tooooo warm that may have made it so it was too loose and squwishy and come out of it.????
NOT SURE???? [dunno] But it sounded good???

Did you check it out to see if something might have been broken on the inside or not screwed on tightly or something...
I had great success with mine...
Haven't used it in a bit, I like a little thicker cookies...so I use the cookie cutters still...

But I do use the Wilton Press for making an H'orderves thing I make...
I take the big stalks of celery and wash `em up..
then, take a bowl and put in one of those cream cheese bars or logs or what ever you call it...
can be the whipped one or the spreadable kind..
I believe the size of the package is 8oz's......
let it get room temp. soft and stir and cream it up in a bowl....I put a little bit of green olive juice to thin it up just a little bit and give it some extra taste...
then put that mixture into my Wilton Cookie Press, with the star tip to make it look fancy...
Then pipe it out on to the stalk, all the way down it...
Then, cut it up in 1" hunks, and find a whole green olive and tooth pick it on to the celery and cream cheese mixture... the toothpick holds the green olive on and is used as a picker~upper..

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cooked Rice Cereal| Next thread: Cookies and other yummy things »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: