The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Roll out gardens?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by ShazzieMc on April 25, 2006 05:23 AM
I was just wondering if anyone knows about those roll out garden things...Ya know,you roll it out,water it and POOF you have an instant flower bed? I have a rather large yard..and some (alot)of empty places that..well, just need some piazze.I don't really want to take the time to prepare new beds & plan 'em & pay out the wahzoo cause,I live in a rental and have already done too much to help my cheap landlord [Razz] ..I might be moving as soon as Oct. [muggs]

" Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediorce minds"
~ Albert Einstein ~
by weezie13 on April 25, 2006 09:15 AM
ShazzieMc
I used one one time, when I was about 12...
*honest*

And I loved it, it was a roll out Zinnia bed..
I had a rocky space at the end of my driveway, and worked the dirt, put in some leaf mould from the woods *(I lived in the country* and some home made compost.. and rolled it out, watered it..

And those were THE BEST FLOWERS IN THE WORLD...
(*I have a picture of me, which I will NOT be showing, but I have a grin on my face, literally from ear to ear..*)

I haven't used one, only cause I'm a bit on the poor side, *one income family here* and they aren't cheap, at least the one's I've seen...
*My favorite to watch is on QVC, Insta Gardens...*

They do work, you have to do a bit of prep work first, work up the sod to get rid of the top layer of grass/weeds... then I would add a bit of good soil, bagged potting soil, bagged cow manure, or whatever they might sell at a store..
or your own home made compost if you have any..
Then roll it out, and keep moist...

I think the one thing that makes them look spectacular on tv or ads is, when they first come up, the people know which plants are which and do do some thinning early... *cause not all the little or lower plants are in the front...

But they are very handy....

*I have used the bagged one's..
have you ever seen those??
They come with stuffing mixed in with the seed, and fertilizers... and you have to prepare the soil first like above... and pull out handfuls at a time out of the bag, and place it side by side, matting it down with your hand..
It does work, although, there is bigger spots to let light in to let weeds germinate.. if you don't take the time and really mat it down, press it in, and make sure everyyyyyyyyyy spot is covered..
But that was fun too...

And it's fun to see what flowers do emerge!!!
[flower] [flower] [thumb]

If you do do it, will you l [gabby] et us know how it turned out [critic] !!!??!!??!?!?!?

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ShazzieMc on April 25, 2006 09:46 AM
Thanks Weezie. I'm definitly gonna try it,if i can find them and afford them.(one income family too,well until I go back to work).One good thing is that I have excellent soil naturally,but I do add some ammendments to it.I love my gardening,but I think I'm gonna cheat a little this year.My knees won't let me do it.
Thanks for all your good advice..Like I said ya'll be hearing from me alot.. [Cool]

~ Albert Einstein ~
by KKMedic on April 28, 2006 06:47 AM
We are moving soon... and have to start all over with a blank slate. I bought a few of the instant border rolls when QVC had them on sale2 for $14 (which I found was reasonable compared to anywhere else for the length and width as well as the guarantee and shipping-- I love EBAy and even looked there.) I have been stashing a few dollars here and there for almost a year (also a 1 income homeschooling family of 6... and dh works for the city, so his pay is rather meager.) But I love being outside and wanted to be able to have something to enjoy amidst the muddy yard of blankness when we move. I am however taking all of my plants that I can get dug up... By any chance do you live near Louisiana?
I will post about how well it does or does not do... I am crossing my finger for abundant reseeding (I am a lazy frugal gardener... and love things that come back again!)

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. -Mother Teresa

Work for the Lord - the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's sould remains unawakened."   ~Anatole France
by ShazzieMc on April 29, 2006 04:43 AM
Good luck with the move!Make sure to tell us how it went..I live in New Jersey... [thumb]

~ Albert Einstein ~
by Karrie on April 29, 2006 06:54 AM
I for one would love to see the pic weezie........I bet its adorable!

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by markr on April 29, 2006 07:22 AM
yeah me too! a pic of little weezie [thumb]

-
Mark
by weezie13 on April 29, 2006 09:28 AM
[Wink] [Big Grin]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum