The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Coleus acting strangely

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Coleus, et al| Next thread: Coleus and other House Plants »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on September 03, 2005 12:36 AM
Hi all,

Yep want to discuss my 'fack' coleus again. These little darlings are blooming way early in their life span but it doesn't seem to be doing them any harm inspite of the fact that I didn't catch them in time to pinch the blooms off. Now it's been over a month and I'm not seeing any sickliness in the plant. Is there a type of coleus that is a perennial rather than an annual? Usually the coleus that I have die if I allow them to bloom. Did I just get lucky or is this a mutation? I've never had this type of coleus before and I've never grown one from seed before so this one has been a new experience from the beginning.
by Will Creed on September 03, 2005 09:21 AM
Coleus are annual if they are left outside and they get too cold an die. Indoors they will continue to grow year round. Indoors they tend to get leggy and need to be pruned back sharply.

The flowers are not great looking, but they do not kill the plant. If you like the flowers, let them grow and when they are done, then cut back the entire plant to help rejuvenate it.
by loz on September 03, 2005 10:15 AM
Hmmm, I never even thought of bringing my trailing Coleus inside for the winter but maybe I'll have to try it out and see if I can get it to survive inside.
by tkhooper on September 03, 2005 11:39 AM
They are really easy care loz i'm sure you won't have any problem. But Will is right they do get leggy. Mine have always died after they bloom before. But not these. Which is great. It's getting really large and has huge leaves. I've never had one like this.
by loz on September 04, 2005 03:43 AM
My two are doing really well right now, and I only paid a dollar for both of them on clearance at the nursery....not sure why they were so cheap, there was nothing wrong with them....mine put out little purple flowers a while ago....Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to put it....LOL I already have quite a few houseplants.
by tkhooper on September 05, 2005 05:46 AM
I have so many house plants I can't get to the window anymore lol. And they are all doing really well. I'm so suprised. You all have taught me so much I really appreciate it.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Coleus, et al| Next thread: Coleus and other House Plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: