The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

what type of plant would go goo here in this location

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Wet spots in the woods!| Next thread: What a Store!!! »
Back to Thread index
by mrs.b on August 27, 2005 12:24 AM
I have a bathroon with one window facing the west and I don't have a clue what type of plant would be suited best. So far, I have a a golden potho on the shelve, but are there any ideas out there? thank you.
Mrs.b [flower]
by Jiffymouse on August 28, 2005 12:27 AM
mrs.b, you have so many options. a peace lily, a fern, a draceana (there are several types out there), and on and on and on. any plant you are partial to, just check to make sure it will take the humidity of a bathroom (bromiliads are good, cactus is bad [Big Grin] ) it all depends on how much space you have and how much fooling you want to do with it.

other than that, that is an ideal spot for your plants.
by mrs.b on August 28, 2005 05:09 AM
Ferns you say? I have never had any luck with them period. Always end up killing them. I was going to attempt to put a Lipstick plant in then remember that they like my golfish plant, need that south sun right?
by Cricket on August 28, 2005 05:16 AM
A lipstick plant might do okay in a west facing window. They need bright indirect light with a couple hours of direct sunlight. Too hot a window and lipsticks crispy fry. (Been there, done that. [lala] )
by joclyn on September 10, 2005 02:14 PM
does the room get lots of light or just a little?
by mrs.b on September 11, 2005 11:31 PM
Hi All,
It greats average light (you know what you would expect from a west facing window) However in my case I have over hanging awnings on the house sou that blocks some sun.
I would say it is of average light.
I purchased a small lily(?) one I could set on a shelve and will use it as a trial plant.
mrs.b
by Jiffymouse on September 12, 2005 08:20 AM
what kind of lily? peace lily? (spath...) or something else. an african violet does well in bathrooms too, and they like the west windows very well.
by joclyn on September 12, 2005 08:52 AM
you could also get an orchid - i wouldn't put it on the windowsill tho...off to the side would be good, tho.

wandering jew should do well also.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Wet spots in the woods!| Next thread: What a Store!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: