The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help, Jade Plant dropping its leaves!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by K on August 20, 2005 09:28 PM
I have a small Jade plant that I bought earlier this summer. Its one of my first house plants. I was informed that it was a good beginner plant!

I didn't think I over watered but maybe I have. It has been dropping the leaves from the bottom up. Most of the leaves that dropped were the larger ones at the bottom but now its dropping the smaller ones. It seems to be moving up the trunk. Any recommendations? [perplexed]
by gconn77 on August 20, 2005 09:56 PM
How often are you watering the plant? Does the soil drain well? What kind of lighting conditions?

-
by Will Creed on August 20, 2005 10:03 PM
If you repotted, that is the likely cause. Otherwise, it may be a watering or a light problem. Posibly mealybugs.

Can you describe the light it receives and how you water it? A photo would also help.

Will Creed
by K on August 21, 2005 11:22 PM
Well I don't see any bugs on the plant itself and I can't see any in the pot, are they visible?
How do you get rid of them?

Watering; I water when the soil feels dry.
Light; the spot where I put it I thought would get more light that it has been. I moved it two days ago into a window that gets sun in the mornings.

I'm thinking it may be the light issue, how long do you think it will take to correct itself?

Thanks for your help,
Kendra Logie
by Will Creed on August 21, 2005 11:46 PM
Hi Kendra,

You didn't mention repotting, so I will assume that is not an issue.

Mealybugs look like tiny specks of white cotton in the cracks where the leaves attach to the stems. If you find any, let me know.

The soil should get quite dry, not just on the surface, but a couple of inches down, as well. Use a wood pencil to poke down into the soil if you are having a hard time telling how dry it is. If in doubt, wait to water!

The increased light should help.

Plants are rather unpredictable in their adjustment period. Look for signs of healthy new growth and expect some older leaf drop as normal. Be patient. [Smile]

Will

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: