The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Caladium in surgery . . .

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Caladium Booboos| Next thread: Caladium info please! »
Back to Thread index
by Carly on December 09, 2004 08:57 AM
She wasn't looking too good - brown at the edges - wasn't sure if I was watering too much, too little or what.

Then I looked it up - I should have remembered this from previous caladiums - I should have been watering from the bottom.

Hopefully this bit of surgery/re-potting will help the plant (s) out:

-

-

I very carefully pulled the root (tubers) apart - they drink from those stems.

I put them in two separate pots - one is on the office window and one is with the deifenbacha in the lobby.

I also realized they are on the TOXIC PLANT list, so I don't want to chance Skitter nibbling at them.

-

-

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Amy R. on December 10, 2004 06:57 PM
that's great to know about watering from the bottom, i have not been doing that with mine, nor did i know it was toxic. also, is the tall plant in the corner the deifenbacha you were referring to? it's absolutely gorgeous. i must have one immediately! [Smile]
by Carly on December 11, 2004 07:23 AM
Yes - that's the deifenbacca - we can't really take credit for its raising - Jeff got it about 4 years ago when one of the tenants moved out.

We just put it there - he waters it once every 10 days or so and it's growing up to the ceiling.

Might be a good idea to put it on the floor soon.

It's a plant I never choose for myself - it looks nice enough but it's big trouble - you have to wash your hands thoroughly after handling it and keep pets away from it.

The ficus is one another tenant brought down at the end of summer - she'd been raising it on her balcony and didn't have room for it in her apartment.

So Jeff looks after that one too - it's doing quite well. I was surprised at its progress - usually the ficus doesn't like being moved.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Caladium Booboos| Next thread: Caladium info please! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: