The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bergenia propagation

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Patty S on April 20, 2006 12:57 PM
I have this really sick looking (probably just old) Bergenia that I want to clean up, if I can. I think I'd have just yanked the whole thing out, cuz it looks so awful, if I hadn't have accidentally broken a piece of it off last year (& said, "sorry!" as I shoved the broken piece into the dirt, because I didn't have my "weed bag" handy!) ...and now I notice that I have a brand new little plant there! [shocked]

(You can see it to the left of the old plant.)
 -

I'm not sure when I did that, but I think it was late in the Summer or early Fall. [dunno] I'm wondering if there is a only certain time of year that doing that will work, or if I can break off more "meaty" parts & have them root for me now.  -

-
 -
by mike57 on April 20, 2006 04:48 PM
Hi patty s.I have always been told.Any perennial plant that booms in the spring is best de vided or grown from cuttings in early fall.And any perennial that blooms in the fall is best de vided or grown from cuttings in early spring.Hope this helps.Your friend in gardening.Mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by Patty S on April 21, 2006 09:50 AM
Thanks Mike. That sounds like something that will be easy to remember & it also makes sense, when you think about it. (Although I don't quite know where my Bergenia fits in there, as it bloomed in January!! [Big Grin] Maybe it just doesnt care, so I'm going to try doing it now, while the Spring rains are coming in, & hope that roots will set down before the dryness of summer.)

I'll come back here & let you know if it worked. Thanks again, & have a terrific summer! [flower]

-
 -
by mike57 on April 21, 2006 11:44 PM
HI Patty sounds like a plan to me go for it.Let us know how it works out for you and good luck with it.Your friend in gardening.Mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: