The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

amaryllis & homalomena

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Amaryllis| Next thread: Amaryllis and yellow leaves »
Back to Thread index
by Amy R. on December 10, 2004 06:38 PM
morning folks,
first off i would like to know when this beast of an amaryllis is going to quit. it has been growing in this pot since may, it doesn't seem to want to stop, and frankly, i'm tired of it. would it be awful of me to cut it back now, or do i have to let the leaves(fronds, whatever) die back first?

http://tinypic.com/vkxv5

secondly, i bought this homalomena(right?) on 11/23 and since then the leaves have been rapidly deteriorating: first the tips starting browning, so i increased the humidity, now the lower leaves are yellowing and wilting(too much water?). i am trying to let it dry out, but it always perks after a little moisture. and no, i don't usually keep it on the stove. [Big Grin] any insight would be much appreciated.

http://tinypic.com/vky9c
by suzydaze on December 10, 2004 07:55 PM
the amaryllis shouldn't get much bigger, why would you want to cut it back before it blooms? they are so pretty when they bloom.

I can't get one started, did you buy it or start it from seed

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Amy R. on December 10, 2004 09:03 PM
oh! it bloomed ages ago, that's the problem. [perplexed] i bought it last winter as a bulb, it bloomed, i cut it back, then it bloomed again this spring, and now i have this monstrosity threatening to take out any who come near(one of the leaves(?) is four feet long!). actually, i kinda like it, i was just wondering if cutting back the leaves before they are done growing would affect the bulb at all.
by suzydaze on December 10, 2004 09:07 PM
I don't guess it would hurt, you'd cut it back if it was in the yard

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Amy R. on December 10, 2004 10:01 PM
perfect, today it is getting a haircut. thanks for the replies. [Embarrassed]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Amaryllis| Next thread: Amaryllis and yellow leaves »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: