The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Grape Hyacinth question....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Grape hyacinth in lawn| Next thread: grape size victoria plums »
Back to Thread index
by beebiz on April 19, 2006 10:43 AM
Hey all,

This early warm weather has kept me very busy with my yard, flowers, garden, and bees!!

One of the things that I've done is to dig up about 50 to 60 Grape Hyacinths that came up volunteer in my yard and I plan to set them back out in a flower bed. I've been told that there is a bunch of tiny, tiny seeds inside each seed pod that is formed by the flowers, and I would like to plant these.

Is right now the right time to plant them? When I plant them, should I just pluck the seed pod from the stem and plant the whole thing, or should I try to divide the seeds? Should I simply drop them on top of the ground in the desired place, or do I need to cover them with dirt? If I need to cover them, how deep should it be?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am quite inept when it comes to Grape Hyacinths!! [Embarrassed]

As always, thanks in advance for any help and suggestions that you might have.

Robert

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by tkhooper on April 19, 2006 11:16 PM
I don't have any grape hycinths yet so I don't know the answer to your question. But I wish you loads of luck with your project.

-
 -
by beebiz on April 19, 2006 11:33 PM
Thanks a bunch TK!! [Wink]

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by dodge on April 20, 2006 07:47 AM
I have them, we multiply ours from the bulbs .. Did them up after death..(All is dryed out) and there are lots of extras there.......

Seeds would take longer if they did.

[wavey]
Dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by porter57 on April 20, 2006 07:56 AM
i concur!!
they spread like wildfire
by tkhooper on April 21, 2006 12:01 AM
it they spread fast I will definitely look into getting a few to get me started. Thanks for the info everyone. And thank you for posting the question Beebiz.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Grape hyacinth in lawn| Next thread: grape size victoria plums »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: