The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sticky Ivy

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: stick bird feeder?| Next thread: Sticky Chicken Spice Mix »
Back to Thread index
by SailingGardener on November 25, 2004 12:03 AM
Hi Friends,

I have an English ivy indoor plant that has become very sticky, secreting a strange sticky substance. Some of the leaves were turning yellow. I brought the plant home from work and sprayed it with a soap solution a couple of times and we cut it back quite a bit. Today, I added some Ironite to it, too!

What do you think is causing the sticky secretion?

Thanks,

SailingGardener
by Jiffymouse on November 26, 2004 12:59 AM
well, the only thing i can think of is aphids, they create a sticky honeydew on the plants. but, you'll have to wait for someone more knowlegable to come in and tell you what to do about them 'cause i just don't remember [dunno]
by plantlady19 on December 03, 2004 12:02 AM
Could be aphids, but it sounds like scale bugs. They also secrete honeydew. Look for small brown bumps on the underside of the leaves and on the stems. They don't look alive, but trust me, they are. The little cowards hide under a thick protective covering. To get at 'em, wash the plant once a week or so for at least a month, with mild soapy water and a tablespoon of rubbing alcohol (thats if you are using 1/2 gallon of water), which breaks down their "scale". Good luck. [thumb]

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: stick bird feeder?| Next thread: Sticky Chicken Spice Mix »
Back to Thread index