The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Asiatic Lily Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Asiatic Lily question| Next thread: asiatic lilys-HELP »
Back to Thread index
by Deborah L. on April 19, 2006 08:18 AM
I bought a beautiful Asiatic lily today, a bright eye popping orange, just gorgeous.
The tag says to keep watered year round. I thought they die down, leaves and all? I hope not, and maybe in California they will stay green?
Anyone have any tips for me? This is my first Asiatic lily. Thnaks !

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 19, 2006 10:15 AM
they do, but the bulb still needs some water. it's a funny thing. although, maybe in so. cal, you might get it to stay around a while longer than in places where it gets cold.
by Deborah L. on April 19, 2006 11:48 AM
Jiffy, you mean they ALWAYS croak? Rats...... [tears]

-
 -
by alankhart on April 19, 2006 09:34 PM
They might possibly have been referring to keeping it as a house plant, but regardless, even if it stayed green it wouldn't flower again from the same stem. The longer it says green, the more energy it gets for blooming next time. Remove the old blooms when finished unless you want to collect the seeds. This allows it to put more energy into blooming instead of seed production.

In cold areas they don't actually die, they die back to the ground over winter and come back again the following year and so on.

-
 -
 -
by SpringFever on April 19, 2006 09:51 PM
Mine come back every year.. [thumb]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Deborah L. on April 20, 2006 01:28 AM
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it all.
I have mine in a pot on the porch. It sounds like it dies down completely like a tulip plant does.
Argh ! I wouldn't have bought it if I had known it does that.
In just one day, I've noticed that the flowers fade fast. Double argh !

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 20, 2006 02:46 AM
deborah do you continue to water it?

-
 -
by loz on April 20, 2006 03:07 AM
Yep, like a tulip Asiatic Lilies die back, but I still love them--I actually just ordered 10 more the other day. Best thing to do really is to put it in the ground eventually.....and make sure you don't cut the greenery down after the flower falls off.....it needs to collect energy for next years blooms.
by dodge on April 20, 2006 07:44 AM
My asiatic lily......I just let mother nature handle it.....Dies down to brown, and comes back nicely each spring.........
Mine has a perfume smell to it.. It was a people stopper..........

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by SpringFever on April 20, 2006 09:41 PM
Thanks dodge I hope mine smells great too!! [clappy]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on April 21, 2006 01:52 AM
Yes, I water it because it's still a green flowering plant. If I keep it, I'll keep the bulb watered. Not soggy though.
Mine has no fragrance at all, but is a gorgeous hot orange. Silky like a poppy, and has glossy green leaves that look greasy, but it's not plant polish.

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 21, 2006 07:39 AM
Cool it will be fine I am sure of it !!! It will die down keep watering it... don't cut the stock till it is brown... and it will come back every year!! I would plant it in the garden myself just so I know there is plenty of room for it to propigate! [thumb]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on April 21, 2006 08:07 AM
Thanks, Spring, but I can only container garden, I can't plant. It's a condo thing. Sigh....
After it croaks I'll plant the bulb somewhere where it won't show, like in a huge pot that's a giant version of a color bowl.
If I'd known that they die down, I would have planted it there when I got it. [thinker]

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 22, 2006 02:11 AM
Gotcha Deborah.. I was Just reading a different thread that says they are great in containers... Just leave them outside..who knew..not me

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Asiatic Lily question| Next thread: asiatic lilys-HELP »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: