The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Jade Plant still not doing well

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Jade Plant questions| Next thread: jade plant via leaf cuttings? »
Back to Thread index
by lsmieja on November 28, 2004 08:58 PM
Hi-I got some advice here earlier regarding my jade plant that has been losing leaves since I brought it inside for the winter (it's more of a tree than a plant!) and I haven't been overwatering it-and it's been in the same sunny window for a few months now-the problem persists-I lose leaves and pieces of stem. I decided to investigate the soil for moisture and when removing some dead leaves I saw many small black insects crawling around in the dirt. They are not on the leaves-and there are not tons of webs or any coccoon like substances I could see, But the soil was definitly infested. I love this plant and live in Minnesota so it's gotta be inside for months. I think the decreased sunlight combined with the move and the insects is killing my plant. I don't want to part with it-what could I buy or try putting on the soil to kill the bugs but not the plant? I have sprayed soapy water on the leaves and soil but it had no effect. Any help would be great-especially if you could recommend a specific product! I know these plants are really sensitive to different things so I'm nervous to just buy something at the garden center and risk killing the plant. Thanks-Lisa
by Jiffymouse on November 29, 2004 04:26 AM
lisa, this may sound like a simplistic approach, but one i would do anyway. find a bucket or pan that is taller and bigger around than the pot your jade is in. next time it is time to water the jade, COMPLETELY submerge the pot in tepid water in the bucket. has to be tepid (luke warm) so that it won't hurt the plant, but if you do that, you will drive the insects to the top of the water. letting it sit for an hour or so won't hurt the jade as long as it is allowed to drain well when you are done. but it will kill off some, if not all, of the bugs. you can do this every time the plant needs water (but it will be longer between waterings this way) until you get rid of the bugs completely.

i have done this to get rid of ants in my plants when they come in for the winter. (even jades)
by Nako on November 29, 2004 05:01 AM
oh wow jiffymouse!I never thought about that ^.^ That'd be a good idea for me to do all my plants like that, cuz they're all getting the fungus gnat infestation again now that winter's coming!

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by lsmieja on November 29, 2004 05:32 AM
Good idea-I'll try it (it's in a huge heavy pot so I'm going to buy a big rubermaid container to submerge it in). What kind of bugs do you think they are? I think that these bugs have been in the plant for awhile-probably being outside in full sun and warm summer weather kept the plant healthy enough to fight them off better...
by Jiffymouse on November 30, 2004 01:54 AM
you are probably right about the outside giving the plant an edge... i have no clue what the bugs are, but if they are doing damage (and it sounds like they might be) then the submersion treatment will do the trick to get rid of them (i hope!) keep us posted.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Jade Plant questions| Next thread: jade plant via leaf cuttings? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: