The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

creeping phlox

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: creeping flox ?| Next thread: creeping phlox »
Back to Thread index
by Ivy9 on April 18, 2006 02:58 AM
Hi
I have creeping phlox, one pink and one candy stripe. I want to keep them in containers side by side with my dianthus. Are these all ok to keep in containers. i have potted them up. I have a nice double peony plant from the local nursery. Can I plant it outside in a very sunny area? Will it bloom this year at all? I am planning to plant it next to asian lily and lavender. I have a very small area in front that is sunny. I also want to get clematis and wisteria for my patio wher I have the phlox and dianthus. Do I have to plant those in ground and let them climb up? or keep them in very large containers? I like to keep them in containers so that I can move them around if they are not getting enough sun etc.

Thanks!!
by alankhart on April 18, 2006 06:08 AM
You can put your dianthus and phlox in containers and even let them hang over the side. My Mom has hers in a half whiskey barrell. As for the peony, it can be planted in full sun. It may or may not bloom this year...it depends on how young of a plant it is. If you aren't very familiar with peonies, be sure not to plant it deeper than the container it's in. They have a tendency not to bloom if the crown is planted too deep. I have a clematis in a large container that does very well, but wisteria may not work (at least not for long) because it has an extensive root system and grows quite tall. It requires a sturdy structure to hold it as it matures. Perhaps someone had tried it in a container and has had success and will let you know.

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: creeping flox ?| Next thread: creeping phlox »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: