The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

oriental poppies?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Oriental Lily Care| Next thread: Oriole »
Back to Thread index
by dishmanlady on April 17, 2006 09:39 PM
A friend gave me yesterday 3 oriental poppies, she called them, some of which another friend gave to her. Neither of us have ever had them before. We're in zone 7...any info please. I've seen them in other people's yards about, I don't know, 50 miles east of where I am, and they were truly a sight to behold, but have never seen anyone around here have them. I am located about 40 miles northwest of Charlotte (North Carolina) as the crow flies.
I really want to give these the right start so I'll have them for years to come. Thank you for any input.
dishmanlady [Smile]

If it's under 20 dollars, he don't need to know!
by RugbyHukr on April 17, 2006 10:05 PM
they are annuals, so you need to be sure to collect seeds.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by slredmond on April 17, 2006 10:18 PM
There are also perennial oriental poppies.

Sandy R.
by alankhart on April 18, 2006 01:38 AM
Oriental poppies are perennials. California poppies, shirley poppies, and several others are annuals and usually reseed quite well. They all bloom in early to mid spring, prefer full sun and well draining soil. Oriental poppies will usually go dormant in the heat of summer and leave a gap in your garden, so try to plant them where the gaps will be filled by other nearby plants. They also require a period of cold temps to bloom (your NC winter will do the trick), and small plants, cuttings, etc. may take a year or more to bloom.

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Oriental Lily Care| Next thread: Oriole »
Back to Thread index