The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

my first plant. dont't have clue.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by juan on August 05, 2005 12:04 PM
hi my name is juan. i just bought my first plants
indoor. one dieffenbachia, one bonsai.i placed both in my living room. the bonsai is on top of my bar next to window with sunlight coming in from east direction 6 am to 4 pm. in the other is on the floor same room. is this correct? how often do i water them?. [thinker]
by princessazlea on August 05, 2005 06:47 PM
Hi juan [wayey]
Welcome to the forum. Nice to meet you.
I have information on
The Dienffenbachia

Dieffenbachias are easy houseplants. That tolerate a wide range of conditions. They are popular in homes and offices for their colourful, large leaves. Most dieffenbachias will grow from 3-6 feet tall and 1-3 feet wide. Individual leaves can be 18 inches long by 12 inches wide.
Dieffenbachias will grow quickly in ideal conditions or barely at all if light is low.
Dieffenbachias enjoy normal warm household temperatures. Always protect dieffenbachias from cold and major changes in temperatures.
Water throughly, than let soil dry to the touch to a depth of one inch.
Dieffenbachia's will grow in most well drained container. They should be fed from March through to September with a foliage houseplant fertilizer. Liquid-type fertilizers can be applied at half strength every 2-4 weeks. Or you can use a time release fertilizer applied according to label directions.

Sorry I can't help you with the bonsai, but someone else might come along and help you with that one. [thumb]

-
 -
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".
by loz on August 06, 2005 04:49 AM
Hi there and welcome to the forum...I'm going to move the topic to the houseplant section where it will probably get more replies....Thanks for joining us!
by Will Creed on August 08, 2005 08:37 AM
Hi Juan,

Your Dieffenbachia will do best right in front of or very close to the east window. Do not repot it. Allow the top quarter of the soil to dry out in between waterings. It is better to err on the side of dryness.

Bonsai is merely a description of a special way that a plant has been miniaturized. To tell you how to care for it, we need to know what plant species it is.
by joclyn on September 10, 2005 02:40 PM
need more info about the bonsai (will is correct. bonsai is the name for the technique of modifying the way the plant grows.

almost any plant can have the 'bonsai' applied to it. what particular plant is it that you have? this is important as your question about lighting and placement will depend on which plant you have.

generally, watering should be done weekly. ideally, you submerge the whole pot in water - you need to have the water high enough so that the top of the pot is covered...you want the water to just touch the trunk of the plant. leave it in the water for about an hour (so it gets a good soak) and then let it drain for about an hour before putting it back in it's usual spot. i used to plug the sink up & then fill it with tepid water (warm but not hot) and then i would place the pot into the water - slowly so as to not disturb the rocks/moss that is used to decorate the top of the soil. you can do it in reverse tho...plug the sink, put the plant in and then fill with tepid water until the top of the soil is covered.

we really need to know what type of plant it is tho to be more specifice

you should have receive some instructions when you purchased the bonsai.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: