The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Another daffodil question... sorry...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Pinkhorseofcourse on April 17, 2006 03:17 PM
My daffodils have never bloomed well. They have been planted for about 3-5 years I am guessing. This year they came up, and only one flower! [tears]

The tips of the green leaves/stalks are dry and brown. I had originally thought that I may have planted them too deep. I know they have had enough moisture, because my neighbor's Daffodils are all blooming.. Grrrr... I have never fertilized, and am uncertain of the soil analysis where they are planted. Any ideas/tips? Please?

Thanks so much!! [flower]
by mike57 on April 17, 2006 08:51 PM
HI Pinkhorseofcourse.Sometimes daffodils will not bloom the 1st year but will bloom the 2nd year.Mine did the same thing the 1st year i got nice green foliage but no blooms on some of them but they all bloomed just fine the 2nd year.But if they have been in the ground 3 to 5 years and are not blooming they might have been cut down before the foliage died back never cut them just let the foliage die off on its on.You might try a dig them up and let them dry out for about 3 weeks then replant them and add some bone meal in each hole before placing the bulb in.hope this helps and good luck with them next year.your friend in gardening.Mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by Pinkhorseofcourse on April 19, 2006 12:08 PM
Thanks Mike! Ya know what? I bet you are right on the money! I know for a fact my husband mows them down when he cuts the grass for the first time. Sooo.. this year, I will make sure he lets them die on their own. How long does that usually take? Before they are gone and the area can be cut with a mower? Thanks so much!!
by mike57 on April 19, 2006 12:31 PM
HI Pinkhorseofcourse.I am not sure how long it will take it all depends on how hot it gets and how much rain you get also.Mine are just now drying up they have been green for about a month and a half or so counting blooming time.We are just now getting tempters in the 80s during the day and in the 50s at night.Sorry i could not give you a better time frame for them.your friend in gardening.mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by Pinkhorseofcourse on April 19, 2006 12:36 PM
That's ok!! Thanks for the help anyway! [flower]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: