The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ornamental Pepper?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Ornamental Grasses| Next thread: ornamental peppers »
Back to Thread index
by jesussaves on November 11, 2004 05:02 PM
I bought myself an ornamental pepper plant for my centerpiece at Thanksgiving, and now it is looking kind of shrivelled and dried out. I am watering it cautiously, but there were no watering instructions on the tag when I bought it. The tag just says plant in sun or part sun, so now I'm wondering if I should not have bought it for indoors. What do i do now? We've already had a few snowfalls and some frost...I don't even know if it is a perennial or what!! [Confused] [dunno] [Embarrassed] Any ideas?
Thanks!
Michelle<><

POBODIES NERFECT
by sam314 on November 12, 2004 02:36 AM
Ornamental peppers are usually grown as annuals around here. But, like most annuals, it should survive if not left in the harsh winter conditions. I would think that it should come back if you continue to water it like a regular houseplant - whenever the top quarter inch of soil is dry.
Another thought is if there are any bright red fruits, they should contain seeds. Even though Thanksgiving is right around the corner, you could still grow some from seed for the rest of the winter.
Sam

God Bless,
Sam
Prov. 3:5-6
by jesussaves on November 12, 2004 06:05 AM
I never thought to check the fruits...there are lots, but they are tiny, and wrinkle up right away. Also, since I'm in Canada, we already had our thanksgiving close to a month ago, so I bought it quite early in Oct. I never even thought about checking it to see if it was indoor or outdoor [Embarrassed] woops!! It came in such a pretty little pumpkin container, I thought for sure it was a table plant!! [Roll Eyes] ...Ah well, maybe one of these days I'll sprout a green thumb....but I better learn meself a few things!! [teacher] ...
thanks for the reply!
Michelle<><

POBODIES NERFECT
by Jiffymouse on November 13, 2004 03:54 AM
well, if it is the edible kind (i didn't know there were some that weren't edible until just lately), you can use the dry peppers just like any other dried spice to give your food a "kick"
by jesussaves on November 13, 2004 08:48 PM
Well, I don't know if this one is edible or not...the tag doesn't say...and to be honest with a name like "Medusa" [shocked] [Eek!] on the tag, I don't think I'll be trying them out anytime soon!!!
Actually, I think I'm going to lose this plant, it's not looking very good, in fact it looks like it's getting smaller and smaller by the day!! I don't even know if I had stuck it in my garden, if it was an annual or a perennial! [dunno] [Embarrassed] ..
well, I'll just keep an eye on it i suppose?
Michelle<><

POBODIES NERFECT

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ornamental Grasses| Next thread: ornamental peppers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: