The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ficus Mystery

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Ficus Help Needed| Next thread: ficus~potting »
Back to Thread index
by rozy221 on August 02, 2005 11:56 AM
Hi all [wayey] I have this ficus tree that I almost killed over the winter, but now that I have it outside it is looking 1000% better. My question is, I have these 2 "growths" on the branches.
mystery #1
mystery #2
Any ideas on what these could be? Thanks!
by weezie13 on August 02, 2005 12:13 PM
I think it's some kind of Gall..???
Not 100% sure though???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by rozy221 on August 02, 2005 10:46 PM
Wow-thanks Weezie! I think they may be oak bullet galls-they look very similar-very good reference site. Does that sound right for a ficus tree though? And does this mean I'm going to have some sort of infestation sometime in the future? Ick! [Razz] Thanks for your help weezie-as usual, i think you're right-on [wayey]
by Will Creed on August 08, 2005 08:54 AM
Gall is not unusual on Ficus trees. If it is attached to a minor or dead branch, then simply prune off the branch. Otherwise leave it alone and it will probaly be of no consequence.
by Bekah on August 11, 2005 10:34 PM
Its very hard to tell detail from the picture and I hope this doesn't sound as silly as I think it will but mystery #2 looks like a dirt dopper nest, there seems to be an opening at the bottom and the shape and color is right. When you find out what they are please post-- I would love to know in case my ficus starts growing them.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ficus Help Needed| Next thread: ficus~potting »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: