The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HELP! Need assistance with Orchid

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Finess on August 01, 2005 05:24 AM
I won a cattleya orchid on ebay. I received no instructions on how to repot this plant. I say repot due to the obvious roots that were exposed out of the pot. I have emailed the person and have had no response. I even asked her to send me some planting instructions. Can someone help me? it is important to me beause I purchased this plant for my 16 year old daughter who's wanted an orchid since she was 5. Thanks gardenfreak@earthlink.net  -

-

-
by toma on August 02, 2005 02:41 PM
If I understaing your problem you cannot replant a cattleya orchid. It's so easy. You most to cut the rhizomes in half and than plant in the pot where the umidity it's to much.
It is a epiphite plant and is native on tropical America. So cattleya orchids perform best in very high light and need a potting mix comprised of redwood bark chips, coarse charcoal or perlite, or other commercially available orchid mix. Flowers will not form if the plant does not receive enough light. Cattleyas bloom only once a year, but the season of bloom varies by species or hybrid.
I help you?!
by Finess on August 02, 2005 08:28 PM
Yes you have. I received the same advise on another gardening forum and they told me to repot the orchid. Thanks! for responding!

-

-
by toma on August 02, 2005 11:56 PM
It's my pleasure
Good luck!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: