The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dianthus garden spice red

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Dianthus| Next thread: Dianthus Not Blooming »
Back to Thread index
by tarantino77 on April 15, 2006 07:37 AM
My 2 dianthus have lost all their blooms and was wondering what I did wrong. It's been very dry in florida and i've been watering every other day.

Thanks

ed
by MissJamie on April 15, 2006 07:53 PM
hi there! welcome to the garden helper! we hope you stick around for a while! we're a really fun group of people. There's LOADS of info on here that can help you. All you have to do is go to the search bar at the top and type whatever you want help in and you'll find all kinds of good stuff! Try typing Dianthus and I'm sure you'll find something that may help you [thumb] I found this and maybe it can help you some. If it doesn't then just ask more questions! And remember...there's no such thing as a stupid question!! [muggs]

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by dodge on April 15, 2006 11:51 PM
tarantino,

Welcome to our House here on gardenhelper.

Not positive, but I think Dianthus is a cool weather plant......Dont think your doing a thing wrong...It disappears when the temperatures climb.
have fun here.Any time.
[thumb] dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by angelblossom on April 16, 2006 12:54 AM
tarantino.... I have dianthis just about year round,, I deadhead the spent blooms and cut off any browning/yellow leaves and occasionally Stir the top soil up a bit as they like good air circulation around the stems and I fertilize with super blooms in the spring. there have been times when I have completely cut off all blooms and start all over tho I leave the follage it always brings back blooms..

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by dodge on April 16, 2006 01:07 AM
MissJamie

Your correct......
THE ONLY STUPID QUESTIONS ARE , THE ONES NOT ASKED.........

HORRAY HORRAY..

DODGE

-
 -
by tarantino77 on April 16, 2006 01:48 AM
thanks angel,

When will the blooms come back if at all ?....I needed to cut off allot of the dead.

ed
by dodge on April 16, 2006 02:22 AM
JUST WONDERING ......
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU GIVE IT A LITTLE BIT OF SHADE......I KNOW FLORIDA IS HOTTTTTTTTTTTTT.
PUT A LITTLE NETTING ABOVE IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS....
I HAVE 2 WINTERED OVER IN THE SNOW..JUST COMING ALIVE.....i REFUSE TO TOUCH THAT ......THEY COME BACK FROM THE ROOTS IS ALL i KNOW..
ANGEL YOUR QUESTION..

DODGE:O)

-
 -
by angelblossom on April 16, 2006 06:07 AM
IT just takes time but they DO come back I have mine in dappled sun most of the day with early morning full sun. If you haven't already fertilized I would do it now. However I just use greenlight superbloom 12-55-6 and use 1/2 recommended ratio to water. You can even sprinkle a little epsom salt in the soil and water it in and doesn't hurt when you fertilize. Do you have it in full shade or full sun?? I have found mine do best in dappled sun . TOOO much water can cause yellow leaves as well ..and try not to get the foliage wet water at the base of the plant.. I hope this helps just remember once you cut off the brown/yellow foliage and deadhead spent blooms patients is required for it to regenerate itself to produce more blooms [Wink] [grin]

-
 -
by tarantino77 on April 16, 2006 01:54 PM
Sorry what does that mean>>>>and try not to get the foliage wet water at the base of the plant....

Also, how much watering should I do ? It's been very dry here, and I've been doing an every other day watering. I've read that I might be over-watering.

Thanks

ed
by dodge on April 16, 2006 10:10 PM
ed

Tell Appleblossom your having a run off..???

;o)

dodge

-
 -
by angelblossom on April 16, 2006 10:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tarantino77:
Sorry what does that mean>>>>and try not to get the foliage wet water at the base of the plant....

Also, how much watering should I do ? It's been very dry here, and I've been doing an every other day watering. I've read that I might be over-watering.

Thanks

What I meant was... when you water it don't 'spray the entire plant! Just water at the base (the soil line) and don't get the leaves wet [thumb] as far as watering schedule goes water when the top third of soil is dry. Is yours in a container or in the ground?? what kind of soil is it in???

-
 -
by tarantino77 on April 18, 2006 03:20 AM
WHAT ABOUT DEAD LEAVES AT THE BASE? THEY ARE HARD TO GET TOO, BUT ALLOT OF DEAD AT THE BASE.

ALSO HAVING PROBLEMS WITH IMPATIENTS. tHEY ARE LOSING THEIR BLOOMS.

THANKS

ed
by tarantino77 on April 18, 2006 03:21 AM
THE SOIL IS A MIXTURE OF GARDEN SOIL FROM HOME DEPOT AND NATIVE SOIL, THEY ARE ALL IN GROUND.

tHANKS

ed

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dianthus| Next thread: Dianthus Not Blooming »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: