The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Canadian in Taiwan

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by ivona on November 06, 2004 05:01 PM
I am in Taiwan teaching English second year now. I am originally from Toronto, Canada. There is a myriad of plants growing everywhere, out of everything and anything in this tropical climate. I decided to learn about planting and my goal is to have as many plants as possible on my patio roof. I thought that first instead of buying plants, I'd drive my scooter around and see if any plants need to be saved (Taiwan is full of disposed or abandoned objects and materials). So 2 weeks ago I found a large abandoned styrofoam pot of aloe vera plants out in the garbage. I took it home and repotted it into single pots. It was all infested with ants when I broke it apart. I used peat moss and watered it couple of times. It has a lot of sun I have it on the patio outside. But the plants look like they are dying and they are getting brownish yellow in color. What can I do?
If most of these plants grow outdoors or are found in pots outdoors, they are in a sandy type of dry soil. I put them in peat moss when I bring them home, but MAYBE that is not a good idea? What soil should I use? What are some good tips for repotting?
by Merme on November 06, 2004 10:10 PM
Hi ~ [wayey]

Nice to have you on the forum. I'm going to ask someone how to move your post to the Houseplants forum where you will get good answers to your questions.

Let's hear from you again!

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by weezie13 on November 07, 2004 03:25 AM
Hello Canadian in Taiwan, Ivona... [wayey]
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum,
We are very glad you found us!!!

Yes, Merme is right, your post really should be in the house plant section, so, I"ll move it into that section there for you...there's alot more gardener's that come thru there that will be able to help you in your quest..
And a fun one at that, we love free finding's around here, alot of us are plant rescuer's too! [thumb]

And feel free to come back to the New Members and tell us a bit more about yourself and your adventures *and all those great finds you find and rescue!!!*

Weezie

And don't forget either to check out all of our neat sections we have here, like Crafts and Hobbies, Recipes, and Banter Hall for chatting and getting to know the fellow gardener's.
We have a very nice Cyber Community here...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ivona on November 07, 2004 09:48 AM
So I just drove around to every plant shop here in my town and no one has any other soil than peat moss [Frown] So I bought some fertilizers: three types, but it is all in chinese or taiwanese or japanese. One is in a small plastic jar with a plastic spoon. It looks like orange small balls. Then I have a package of Japanese fertilizer which are small gray balls. Then I bought a large bag of longer brown pieces and the only thing I understand on the bag is N:4% P2O2: 2% K2O: 1% But which one do I use for the aloe? How often, how many? If I am stuck with peat moss, then I think that with fertilizer and proper watering I should be fine eventually. The aloe is also probably in a transplant shock like G-Mom said.
I read about fertilizers, but which one do I use and how? The directions are all in chinese. Can anyone give me some help? [Eek!]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: