The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

need help identifying a shrub or bush

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Need help identifing bugs| Next thread: Need help identifying vine »
Back to Thread index
by Andi on April 12, 2006 11:57 AM
Hi everyone ... my sister in law is looking for a shrub that my in-laws grew in their yard when she was a child. My Mother-in-law called it a wedding tree or wedding bush. I'm certain she has the name incorrect, anyway, the shrub or bush as she refers to it bloomed all summer. It's described as a dense bush with bright white fragrant flowers. I'm told it use to make my father-in-law crazy because it always had a blanket of white petals under it that he could never rid the yard of. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
by RugbyHukr on April 12, 2006 10:08 PM
there is a 'bridal wreath' spiraea

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by papito on April 12, 2006 11:22 PM
Try Mockorange virginal [Phildelpus virginal].

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Andi on April 13, 2006 12:04 AM
Here's some more detailed memory. My sister further explains the flower on the plant to look similair to the pink flower of the Mi [Roll Eyes] mosa tree with a smaller bouquets of white flowers on the end of the pink fluffy flower. She says sorry ... also thinks it maybe some sort of evergreen and remembers it being a large shrub, at the least 5ft. Thinks it stayed green all year, or doesn't recall it browning. You guys are the best, thanks!
by Andi on April 13, 2006 12:11 AM
Oh .. sorry, I know the more detail the better the find. She says there was a teeny, tiny miniture white bouquet like flower at the very end of the branch, stalk, stem ... she couldn't find the right word for it ... but knew it was on the end. Also said it has very light fragrance when you walked past it and would know it if she could smell it, but off hand can't give that a name either. Can ya tell I'm talking to her on the phone????? Describes the flower petals as though you would be throwing a handful of snow flakes to the air. Thanks again ... mysteries, aren't the the best
by Andi on April 13, 2006 01:01 AM
Papito, nope not a mock orange. Everything she describes sounds to me like a Bridal Spirea but she insists that it blooms throughout the summer.
Do you know if the Reeves spirea has that long of a bloom time?
by slredmond on April 13, 2006 01:33 AM
lace cap hydrangea of some sort?

Sandy R.
by Andi on April 13, 2006 01:49 AM
thought that too Sandy but still sticking to the story that it has tiny bouquets and blooms all summer. Suggested she take a walk to her nearest nursery and check out their catalogs and plants available now. Need to put a rush on this thing. Mother-in-law in a nursing home and wants to give her something as an appreciation gift. Need it by next week. Ugh!
by morninglori on April 18, 2006 09:40 AM
Sounds like Bridal Wreath (Spirea). It is a big floppy shrub like a butterfly bush and can get 6 feet tall and about 10 feet wide and its flowers are delicate clusters of white. They stay green here all year round but only bloom for about a month in spring.

I was going to include a pic of one, but can't seem to find it on my harddrive. Sorry
by Wrennie on April 18, 2006 07:21 PM
Sounds like spirea, bridal veil, bridal wreath...bush. I remember things differently from when I was a child. Things I remember blooming a long time dont now.
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=spirea+bridal+wreath

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by RugbyHukr on April 18, 2006 10:06 PM
from your latest description it sounds like a shrub that should not grow in PA

Calliandra schultzii 'Rose Cascade'

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by tkhooper on April 18, 2006 10:18 PM
I tried getting a picture of the one my neighbor has but they didn't turn out. Maybe I'll try later. but white is hard to get a picture of with an inexpensive camera. Especially when I'm a lousy photographer lol.

-
 -
by Andi on April 18, 2006 11:55 PM
Thanks everyone. I think what she's talking about is the Bridal Wreath Spirea. I have other Spireas and if I trim them back and reshape them they will bloom again during the summer. I have to admit that I remember things differently as well. Still waiting for her to make her trip to the nursery in search of this elusive shrub. [Wink]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Need help identifing bugs| Next thread: Need help identifying vine »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: