The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I have to transplant my fittonia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: I have pests on my cacti| Next thread: I have unhappy Fuscia's. »
Back to Thread index
by murphyette on January 22, 2006 07:56 AM
It is getting too big for it's britches. There probably isn't much dirt left in the pot, it's all roots. LOL
This is one of my favorite plants....any pointers to make it a smooth transition?

Jody
by weezie13 on February 10, 2006 04:43 AM
Up!!!

Anyone?????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on February 10, 2006 04:51 AM
without knowing what kind of plant I can give some general instructions.

First off fertilize about a week prior to the move to help with transplant shock.

Choose a pot one size bigger than the one that it is in. Maybe two sizes if it is that rootbound.

While you have it out of it's old pot check the roots to make sure they all look healthy.

And that's all I know.

-
 -
by murphyette on February 10, 2006 07:40 AM
I still haven't done it. I am too afraid. LOL It is one of my favorite plants. I guess I will just have ot bite the bullet and do it.

Jody
by tkhooper on February 10, 2006 08:16 AM
I'm sorry I'm not familar with that particular plant. Good luck with the transfer.

-
 -
by Cricket on February 10, 2006 08:43 AM
Jody, have you lifted the plant from the pot to inspect the rootball? Ideally, you want a ratio of about 80% roots to 20% soil. A general rule of thumb is not to repot if the plant doesn't need watering more frequently than every 2-3 days. Even then, if you don't mind watering that frequently, it doesn't require repotting. An alternative to repotting is to trim the bottom and sides of the rootball about an inch (no, it doesn't hurt the plant!) and fill in the extra space in the pot with additional soil. That way you don't have to repot at all.
by Cricket on February 10, 2006 08:45 AM
If you determine the plant does require repotting, only go one pot size up.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: I have pests on my cacti| Next thread: I have unhappy Fuscia's. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: