Hummingbird House The Garden Helper
No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997
vine bar
Wild Willy
 

Jade Plants Toxic ?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: JADE PLANTS ROOTING!| Next thread: jade problems »
Back to Thread index
by jmt71846 on October 31, 2004 01:55 PM
We just got a new puppy and he likes to chew on the fallen leaves of our Jade Plant. Although we try to pick these up when we see them, our little fella will get one every now and then. Does anyone know if there is any toxicity from the Jade Plant ?
by Jiffymouse on October 31, 2004 03:16 PM
[wayey] hi jmt [wayey] welcome to the garden helper! i don't know the answer for sure to your question, but i am going to move this to the houseplants section so it will get read by someone who does.
by Jiffymouse on October 31, 2004 08:16 PM
this was posted on another topic, but i think it was meant for here, so i am quoting the original answer here...
quote:
Originally posted by papito:
Please check this link List of Toxic Plants
by lizheaemma on October 31, 2004 08:56 PM
From the information that I cna locate jade is non-toxic.
Ali
by Jiffymouse on November 01, 2004 12:33 AM
well, i was thinking about this one... and you know, if your puppy hasn't shown any ill effects, you are probably safe. and jades do not make the aspca list of plants toxic to animals.
by papito on November 01, 2004 08:47 AM
Hello Jiffymouse,

Thanks for the correction.

So sorry for the booboo. Is there some way of deleting the post in the wrong topic?

* * * *
 -
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by jmt71846 on November 03, 2004 10:34 PM
Thanks for all who replied on the Jade Plant question. Looked at all kinds of info, on this and didn't find anything that would categorize it as a toxic plant.
by Arctostaphylos on November 03, 2004 11:48 PM
Well according to "Poisonous Plants of California" by Thomas Fuller and Elizabeth McClintock the Jade Plant (Crassula arborescens) is indeed toxic... "Plant contains an unknown toxin that acts as an intestinal irritant causing colic and diarrhea." However, this is in reference to humans, its different depending on the animal in question. Afterall chocolate is toxic to dogs and owls eat arsenic so go figure. Hope this is some assistance, good luck.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: JADE PLANTS ROOTING!| Next thread: jade problems »
Back to Thread index

Other articles you might like: