The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Torby's indoor train garden

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Topping Sage| Next thread: Tortilla Soup! »
Back to Thread index
by Torby on July 16, 2005 09:14 AM
The building superintendent gave me a dirt pile just for getting it out of his way. It's wheelbarrow and shovel time.

Lumber, plastic, beaded foam and track.
 -

There will be a stream.
 -
 -

I covered the plastic stream with river pebbles.
 -
 -
by Torby on July 16, 2005 09:15 AM
A little cutie brings her daddy to play with trains now and then.
 -

Disaster strikes. I dropped a bucket of dirt on the stream and the water was running out, right onto...
 -
...the power supplies [Eek!]

After reparing the stream, I got the rest of that wheelbarrow load in place.
 -

I've done 3 more loads today.
by Torby on July 16, 2005 09:19 AM
Since this is inside and lighting is limited, I'll need plants for deep shade, and likely a few "grow lights." Since the trains are 1:29, I'll probably want mostly low growing plants.

I have a packet of seeds for "Shady Place" flowers. Let's see, it contains:

Balsam Camellia
Coleus Rainbo
Pansy Swiss Giant

The package says they grow 8 to 30 inches, so I'll try to use these for backdrop.

What do you think?
by Torby on July 24, 2005 10:00 AM
Got some more soil in place before the 100 degree heat hit. Here a freight crosses an open field:

-
by ninniwinky on July 24, 2005 09:42 PM
That train Setup is AWESOMES!! Want are you going to plant in that field? Anything? I wonder if you can even grow grass there?? What is that steamer, a 4-6-4. I think a few bonsai tree's would be awesome around there also, But I have no idea if they can grow in your particular conditions.

Good Luck!!

Ninni
by Torby on July 25, 2005 06:46 AM
That loco is a 2-8-8-2 Mallet: Heavy freight engine built during WW1 to help get freight over the Appalachin's to ship to Europe.

Being indoors, it's "deep shade." I expect I'll need some grow lights. Right now it's 103 outside and about 93 inside.

I'm not sure what to do with that expanse yet. Since it's a train shop ( http://www.gardentrack.com ) the layout is for displaying products. Maybe a town of prebuilt houses. I'm looking at some low growing groundcovers for deep shade.
by mich168 on July 25, 2005 12:04 PM
Awsome set-up. It's going to look great when its done.

I think you will need some grow lights, if you have it in the depths of a building.

-
 -
by Will Creed on July 26, 2005 07:05 AM
Hi Torby,

The "shade" plants that you listed are plants for outdoor shade which is at least ten times brighter than your indoor light.

Indoors in low light, even low light supplemented by fluorescent light (incandescent light won't help), your options are quite limited and probably will not have "the look" that you would like because they are all tropical in origin.

You could try Chinese evergreen , Pothos, ZZ plant, peace lily, and Dracaena marginata.

Good luck. Your trains look great!
by Torby on July 27, 2005 11:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm clueless in the dark. [Confused]
by Will Creed on July 28, 2005 04:46 AM
I'm clueless in the dark.

I suspect your husband knows otherwise!
by Torby on July 28, 2005 05:47 AM
Um... I was the husband. "Torby" is masculine [lala]
by Will Creed on July 28, 2005 06:04 AM
Whoops! I am totally red-faced. My apologies, Torby.

I suspect your wife knows otherwise! LOL!
by Karrie on July 28, 2005 07:48 AM
Hi Torby I am a fellow train enthusist. I think I love them as much as flowers. I just though I would let ya know that you can make great evergreen trees out of old fake christmas tree branches. Ya just cut them and shape them. They really look good if you give them the time they need for shapeing and such.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Torby on August 04, 2005 04:28 AM
I haven't posted for a while. Busy with a garden railroad convention last week and trying to stay in business this week...

I had a big ol' wreck!

-

Karrie, I've seen lots of cool ways to make fake trees. For pine trees, you carve down a stick to make the trunk, cut rings out of a furnace filter (new one), stick them on the stick, rough up and paint to taste.

Will, don't worry about it. I get called "mam'" on the phone all the time. Some people think I'm a lady named "Ruby Thomas." [dunno]

Now if I could find a way to make a living... Interested in putting a train in your garden?
by Torby on August 12, 2005 02:04 AM
An Experiment:

Since the impatients are doing so well in the window box,

-

and I keep the overhead door open during the day, at least in the summetime, and I had some scraggly looking sets left over, I put some in the layout:

-
by Torby on August 19, 2005 05:03 AM
Wow Coleus are tiny seeds!
by Torby on August 19, 2005 06:15 AM
A Layout Tour

A freight pauses at the water tank.
 -

While a young bather scrambles to escape attention [Embarrassed]
 -

A signal bridge protects Malfunction Junction where the Asylum Valley N&D joins the Pennsylvania.
 -

The freight pulls past Coleus Hill.
 -

The express crosses Coleus Creek.
 -
by Torby on August 19, 2005 06:20 AM
The army just has to wait for the express [Mad]
 -
Billy enjoys the cool breeze up on the coaling tower while he watches trains. Hope his mother doesn't find out where he is [scaredy]

The Asylum Valley Local crosses the bridge over the Asylum River.
 -

And past a cairn.
 -
by weezie13 on August 19, 2005 08:21 AM
That is such an neat thing you have going
there..
Love the pictures...enjoyed them ALOT!!
So'd the kids.. they thought it was real!! [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by MaryReboakly on August 19, 2005 11:16 AM
OOOOOOOOOH! I LOVE IT! Where are you Torby? I'm in S. IL, and I wanna come and play! Is that O gague? I love the water tower - I hope you can get stuff growing - that's an awesome idea, and I don't know why I never thought of it back in my trainset building days. Man I wish I had space!

-
 -
by Torby on August 19, 2005 11:47 PM
This is G gauge. About 1 1/2 times the size of O. There's always enough space for a railroad! Check out http://gold.mylargescale.com/torby/

I'm in central Illinois. Look at a map, between Peoria and Springfield, the go west. You'll find Macomb.

The boys much enjoyed visiting the shop:

Ethan liked the Army train.
 -

Though Caleb was more interested in something else.
 -

I think, since I keep the overhead door open whenever it's nice, that shade plants should do ok.
 -
by Torby on August 23, 2005 12:25 AM
Something's coming up! I wonder if it's what I planted [Roll Eyes]

-

Hmm. I didn't plant these [scaredy]

-
by weezie13 on August 23, 2005 12:32 AM
Looks like grass and mushrooms...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Thornius on August 23, 2005 02:39 AM
LOVE That! Now you need Thomas and Gordon!

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Torby on August 23, 2005 09:44 AM
Strangely, Thomas and crew aren't commonly available in G gauge. One manufacturer makes a few every few years.
by Torby on October 02, 2005 09:15 AM
The last pictures:

"Johnnie, quit chuckin' them rocks in the water."

-

"You can't tell me what to do!"

"If I don't catch something, all you'll have for supper is these here grubworms."

"Na Uh, Luke. You ain't makin' me eat no grubworms!"

"Iffen you don't let me catch something, none of us is eatin' fish!"

Here's all the plants that grew.

-

-

The trackless waste:

-

-

-

First, 2/3 of my financing was withdrawn. Then the credit card companies put me to default rate. There were no train sales in June, July and August. My software business went all summer with no work. The creditors are on the phone all the time. No money to pay rent on the shop. Time to retreat back to the Asylum.

I managed to take care of the customers that ordered in September, and I don't owe any suppliers anything.
by Torby on October 05, 2005 04:03 AM
Well, I'll be! One of my flowers has bloomed!

-

(It's an impatient.)
by weezie13 on October 05, 2005 07:38 AM
Excellant!!

Any more buds kinda showin' their heads?

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by gomerp618 on October 06, 2005 03:40 AM
This is awesome!! I only wish I had the creativity and energy to take on a project like this!

What about baby's tears for a low growing ground cover type thing? It's good in low light and spreads. At least that's the experience I have with it.

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by Torby on October 09, 2005 08:47 PM
The train garden is no more. Energy and ideas I had, but money and business ran out.

The impatient that bloomed had a bunch of blooms.

I potted some of the coleus to take home. It seemed sad to just throw the other plants out, and there were some people across the way, so I took one and said, "Would you like a flower? Actually, it's a coleus, so it won't make much flower but it has pretty leaves."

They were delighted to be given a coleus, especially the little boy, who was ready to follow me anywhere for more. His grandma came with him, and I gave them this impatient too.
by weezie13 on October 09, 2005 08:49 PM
So sorry to hear about this...
Where will all that stuff go now??

Thats' sad..
Hope you'll be able to take it home
or something and put it in a basement.

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Torby on October 09, 2005 08:58 PM
Another part of this hobby I like is making figures, and here's a few I hadn't posted before:

Mary Ellen
 -

She eventually joined the boys at the stream on the other side.

Teddy finds a new friend.
 -

Unfortunately, nobody introduced him to Mother!
 -

Miss Smith the school marm tries to ignore him while Jefferson Smith, a bit of local color, explains Child Psychology.

-

The homework in our figure class once was to draw a figure according to somebody else's description of their railroad. The description was the assignment for the week before. Since I can't draw, I sculpted:

-

I sent his one to the guy whos railroad inspired the figure.

All the people are carefully wrapped in tissue and tucked into a little box.
by weezie13 on October 09, 2005 09:00 PM
Those are so cute...

*I know someone who used to carve people like that
and make bendie~people too with wires...*

What will happen to all of those people?

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Torby on October 09, 2005 09:08 PM
They're all carefully wrapped in tissue and tucked into a little box.

In my scale, a 6 ft figure is 2 1/2 inches high, so they're really small, especially the kids. The man who caught the boy is in a larger scale to match my friend's railroad, so he is about 3 1/2 inches high.

Since I model summertime durring the depression, the kids are out of school and visible everywhere. Most of the parents are busy. I figured on building some shops and industry where the adults would congregate.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Topping Sage| Next thread: Tortilla Soup! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: