The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

small spots on pothos

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by MrJ on July 13, 2005 10:18 AM
Hello. I was given a pothos back in 2001. For a long time I didn't know what plant it was, but it was very happy with the sunlight and water I was giving it. That's almost all I know about plant care. It's been growing uninterrupted since then with one repotting, but now some of the leaves are dying off faster than the new growth. Normally I have a few leaves fade to all yellow and then everything's fine, but the current pattern is worrisome. For the past month or so I've been finding a few leaves at a time with small dark spots in a yellow area that eventually become all yellow spotted leaves (dead). Here's a picture of a recently removed leaf:
 -

Most of the dying leaves are small to medium size and older and in different locations on the plant. Just before this I had a problem where 2 of 5 stems stopped growing leaves (the leaves were a millimeter long), although the stems continued to grow. A third stem did that for a couple leaves and then went back to normal. I cut all 3 off and put the one with leaves in a glass of water. Off-shoots are growing from all 3 cuts. The plant has sunlight, water, and food. What is my plant trying to tell me?
by RugbyHukr on July 13, 2005 10:29 AM
Maybe you are watering the same as you did over winter. It needs more in the heat of summer.

Maybe it needs fertilizer.

But it sounds like spider mites.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash

Active Garden Forum