The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Okay, this may be a crazy question, but.....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Drea on April 07, 2006 02:33 AM
I'm new to gardening so I want to try a variety of things. Have you ever grown glads in planters??
I would love to have large planters on the deck---- a screen of flowers.
I'm zone 3 so bulbs have to be dug up. If I had them in planters could you over-winter them in the garage??
by porter57 on April 07, 2006 05:21 AM
i havent done this personally but i know it can be done. and i think you can overwinter them also. my dad is doing just such a thing this year and the spears are already 6 inches tall on the ones he planted.
by Frann on April 08, 2006 03:14 AM
Glads are great to grow in containers on the patio ... but remember to use nice deep pots. The flower spikes can grow quite tall, and will make a nice screen, but keep them out of areas with strong winds -- they tend to break & topple over.
In terms of overwintering them in the garage, if it's unheated the bulbs will freeze and won't grow back the following year (I'm in a zone 5 and can attest to this lol). Storing them in the cold room works great, or in the fridge if you'ce got a spare in the basement.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: