The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

what kind of plant do i have?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: What kind of grass?| Next thread: what kind of plant is this? »
Back to Thread index
by clarkie14 on July 12, 2005 11:47 AM
hi... i am new to gardening and plants. i just received a plant as a gift and i don't know what it is or how to take care of it.
it's a potted plant with long green leaves with a tall red thingy (possibly a bloom). the red thingy is kinda spiky.
i have been known to kill plants where people think it's more humane to give my cut flowers as they are already dead [Frown]
i would really like to give this plant the proper love and care it needs so if you can help me with identifying this plant i would be most appreciative!
by clarkie14 on July 12, 2005 11:56 AM
it's commonly found at corner bodegas in new york city next to the peace lilies... i don't have a picture yet but hopefully soon if one is needed.
by RugbyHukr on July 12, 2005 12:45 PM
Is this it?

anthurium 'flamingo flower'

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Cricket on July 12, 2005 02:39 PM
A photo would be helpful to correctly identify your plant.

quote:
potted plant with long green leaves with a tall red thingy (possibly a bloom). the red thingy is kinda spiky
Could it be a Bromeliad?

Bromeliad Society International (Check out the photos in Genera Gallery link in the left frame)
by tkhooper on July 12, 2005 06:52 PM
I vote with cricket but I don't have a clue. I'm a new gardener and had a black thumb until the members got a hold of me. My plants are all doing much better. I'm strarting my own inside jungle and loving it.
by Nako on July 12, 2005 11:21 PM
could be a rubber tree too [Smile]

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by atreus on July 13, 2005 08:00 AM
Sounds like a bromeliad. Maybe 'Queens tears'.

http://www.atreusonline2.com/garden.php
by Will Creed on July 14, 2005 09:44 AM
My guess is Guzmania. I see them frequently in NYC bodegas.
by Cricket on July 14, 2005 09:54 AM
What's a bodega? [dunno]
by Will Creed on July 14, 2005 09:57 AM
A bodega is a small corner grocery store found in Spanish neighborhoods. They also sell flowers, cigarettes, lottery tickets, and just about anything else you could need 24 hours per day.
by clarkie14 on July 20, 2005 09:17 AM
i think it's a guzmania... it's doing well and still alive. here's a picture just in case
[img] file://localhost/Users/clarkie14/Desktop/IMG_1067.jpg [/img]
by clarkie14 on July 20, 2005 09:24 AM
eh... picture didn't work but it's definitely a guzmania... thanks all for your help.
by Will Creed on July 20, 2005 09:41 AM
Clarkie,

You may have read otherwise, but it is best not to put water in the Guzmania cup. You should water the soil thoroughly whenever the top half-inch feels dry to the touch. Do not repot it. Provide lots of bright indirect light with a couple of hours of direct sun; a north or east windowsill is best. It is pest resistant and rarely needs fertilizer.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: What kind of grass?| Next thread: what kind of plant is this? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: