The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Japanese Maple Pruning in Spring?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Japanese maple propagation| Next thread: Japanese Maple Questions »
Back to Thread index
by Jeff1203 on April 05, 2006 02:30 AM
I have a somewhat new Japanese Maple (about 2 years old). The top portion of the tree is growing all to one side which is causing the bottom portion of the tree to bend into an S shape.
I've read that all pruning should be done in the Fall. Should I wait to cut-off the top portion of the tree until the Fall or would a season's worth of additional growth place too much stress on the lower trunk?
Any thoughts?
Thx!
- Jeff
by peppereater on April 05, 2006 10:52 AM
Jeff...I have 20 plus years experience with pruning...there's a lot of new ideas about pruning since I was taught, but I wouldn't hesitate to prune now, or pretty much any time you need to. Fruit trees, flowering shrubs...timing is important. All other trees can be pruned as needed.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Jeff1203 on April 05, 2006 09:28 PM
Dave, Thanks very much for your response and advice. I was hoping to be able to go ahead with what I think would be necessary pruning to keep any more unwanted dis-figuration.
Thx again!
- Jeff
by johnCT on April 05, 2006 10:12 PM
I've pruned mine in the spring with no ill effects. Best time is the fall, but early spring won't hurt it.

-

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Japanese maple propagation| Next thread: Japanese Maple Questions »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: