The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Spider Plant - desperate for help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Ronky on July 09, 2005 11:48 AM
I cut off a spiderette from a spider plant a couple of years ago. The plant rooted in water and I promptly planted it. I planted about 3-4 spiderettes. Only one of those really grew. I realize I probably didn't give it enough light because if really didn't grow that much. In the last 2 years it has grown just enough to cover a medium size pot. However recently I think it rotted from overwatering and I repotted it. However the repotting is not working. The roots of the main plant looked healthy - also with a large bulbous white root which I think is the water collection. Since its been repotted (1 week) it has continued to wilt and all of its leave are brown and shriveling.

My question is - should I let it go and hope it survives, or try rerooting it by putting the plant in water and starting from scratch? The plant is also very special because supposedly it is a 3rd generation spiderette off of Albert Einstein's very own spider plant at Princeton University.

Thanks for any help you can give.

CLICK FOR PICTURE

RONKY
by Will Creed on July 10, 2005 09:40 AM
Give it up Ronky! Sorry, but it is on life support and it is not going to make it. Albert has left many other progeny, I am sure.
by Ronky on July 10, 2005 11:34 AM
I repotted it in a smaller pot - the roots look nice and healthy... so maybe there is a chance. Take a look:

http://www.blossomswap.com/garden-forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=6167

Ronky

RONKY
by DaisyM on July 10, 2005 12:44 PM
I would try it, what have you to lose? The root does look alive. A bit of advice, spider plants like to start off with small pots and grow into larger ones, so it's good that you've put it into a smaller one. Also remember, to never let them dry out. That can kill them, as can overwatering. Keep them happily moist all the time and you should do just fine.
by DaisyM on July 10, 2005 12:46 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, I have mine in a west window with very little light. I don't think they like direct sun.
by Vada on July 12, 2005 05:45 AM
DO NOT over water them. I have mine hanging on the front porch where it gets rainwater run off and I water about once a week. Mine have done fine for 4 years now. I have even just thrown them in a large pot with no dirt and used the pots for something else and they lived and took over that pot with me not doing anything to them. I wish you luck!

Vada in MS

Mommy to Tommy, Edward, Jarod and baby on the way!

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: