The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Please Help Save My Jade

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by peace1967 on July 08, 2005 09:05 AM
I have a Jade Plant and it has been doing well for a year. Just recently I have noticed it has been dropping an occasional leaf and a few leaves have a white substance on the top of the leaf and when I wipe the substance off it appears black underneath. The underneath of the leaf is not affected so its not mealy bug. I water it every month as the directions say to.
Are their any Jade Plant expertice out there ?
Thanks for any help. Peace Sue
by loz on July 08, 2005 11:21 AM
Hi there----I'm going to move your post to the houseplant section where it will receive more responses.....Glad to have you here with us! I'm from Maryland too....glad to see another one of us here on the forum!!!!!! Welcome!
by tkhooper on July 08, 2005 06:21 PM
I'm sorry peace I don't know what's going on with your Jade. But I'll be following the string closely since I also have a jade.
by peace1967 on July 08, 2005 11:44 PM
Thanks Ya'll !!!! I am going to see the plant people at an area Garden shop and ask them. If they have an idea I will share with you.
by Will Creed on July 10, 2005 09:53 AM
Hi Peace,

I suspect mealybug. Monthly watering may not be adequate unless you put it in a pot that is too large.

How much light does it get?

Can you post a photo?

What's a Chica?
by DaisyM on July 10, 2005 01:11 PM
I wish I could help you? Perhaps if it's just an occassional drop of a leaf it won't matter. I had a jade once, and all the leaves dropped. I couldn't figure out if they were dropping because the soil was too dry or too wet? In the end I gave up and never owned one since. I think you are doing well if you already had it for a year. Good luck and hope someone can give you the answers you need.
by lovegreenery on July 12, 2005 07:14 AM
I have a Jade plant. I have had it for three years. It has never had spots on it but the leaves began to fall off and it didn't grow much. I planted it in a bigger pot and it is growing nicely. I read one time that Jade plants are only suppose to be watered at a certain time. There is a time when they are dormant and I can't remember if that is the time to water or not. I know they are a very picky plant. Good luck. Here's a website for you to check out where I read the info. http://hgic.clemson.edu or call 1-888-656-9988. I found this site very helpful.
Lovegreenery
by RugbyHukr on July 12, 2005 11:33 AM
Will,

Chica is a spanish word for female.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Will Creed on July 13, 2005 07:05 AM
Thanks, Rugby. Is that the origin of the anglo word "chick" as applied to young women?

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: