The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Caring for a Japanese Money Tree?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by kelbellneely on July 04, 2005 09:02 AM
Hi,
I have just recieved a Japanese Money Tree and I don't know anything about how to care for this plant. This plant is very sentimental to my family and it is already starting to look kind of unhealthy. Some of the leaves are starting to look wilty. Anyways is this an inside or outside plant? Does it need direct or indirect sunlight? Do I water it alot? Oh by the way. I don't know if this is important or not but it is braided. Anyways, any info would be really great.
Thanks,
Kellie
by Nako on July 04, 2005 11:47 PM
this is an inside plant that needs medium light. If you have a peace lily that looks healthy, put it in the same lighting as that ^.^ Also, water it when it looks like the top of the soil is dry. That's what i do [Smile] Mine gets about 3 hours of sun every day and its doing really well ^.^ My mom's gets lots of indirect sunlight and its doing very well as well ^.^ If you want, you can continue to braid it, but you have to be VERY careful with the soft stems. They break easily >.<

Good luck!
~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by kelbellneely on July 05, 2005 12:16 PM
Thanks Pheobe! Right now it's leaves are turning brown and I am not sure why. If I get a chance I will post a pic of it. I will try to place it in an area with light inside my house. The place that my husband got the tree put some kind of moss around the soil so I will remove that so that I can test the soil for moisture. Thanks again and if anyone else has any advice it would be appreciated. Have a good one.
Kellie
by hallen on July 22, 2005 07:04 PM
I also have a money tree. I tried to braid it this morning, but I broke one of the stems off. Can I wrap it in something to get it to grow back together, or do I have to let it go? And if so, will the cutting grow in soil? Thanks for the help.
-Heather
by kschultz on July 22, 2005 08:37 PM
I have had alot of success with my money tree. It is in a place with medium light and I water it about once a week to once every two weeks. My leaves do tend to fall off, but the thing just keeps growing taller and taller. Any advice on how to trim it? Mine isn't braided (I think one of the three branches broke before I got it becuase it only has two branches growing leaves and a third "stump"). Thanks, and enjoy your new plant.

Kschultz

Active Garden Forum