The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Daffodil Question?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by princessazlea on March 29, 2006 04:21 AM
For the 2nd year running some of my Daffodils have not bloomed. What should I do with them?

-
 -
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".
by KKMedic on March 29, 2006 04:51 AM
I am far from a master gardener, but have you considered the soil they are planted in... perhaps a scoop of root blast would do the trick?

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. -Mother Teresa

Work for the Lord - the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's sould remains unawakened."   ~Anatole France
by princessazlea on March 29, 2006 04:57 AM
Hi KKMedic [wavey]
Can I ask you what is root blast? I have never heard of this!

-
 -
by obywan59 on March 29, 2006 10:46 AM
Princess, do you fertilize your daffodils? I always fertilize mine in the fall. Actually, I didn't used to, and I thought my blooms were less also, but now that I've been fertilizing regularly, they blooms are much better.

Also, are they overcrowded? You could perhaps dig them up and spread them out a bit more, although fertilization should help improve the bloom in this situation also, as crowded bulbs mean more competition for the available nutrients.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by mike57 on March 29, 2006 11:10 AM
[wavey] HI Princess I all ways use bone meal dust or powder when i plant any type of bulbs just put some in each hole at planting time.It is a great fertilizer to give them a good jump start when they start to grow and bloom.Obywan is right if they have been in the ground for a while a good fertilizer should do the trick for you.If not try digging them up after the greenery dies back and let them go dry for a week or two then replant them using bone meal powder or dust.This should make them bloom for you at least next year.Good luck with them.Your friend in gardening.
Mike57 [wavey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by princessazlea on March 29, 2006 07:48 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone [wavey]
I did not fertilize but I will give it a try.

-
 -
by Michael15r on March 30, 2006 12:32 PM
Hey thanks for this advice. I notice the same thing. One year they didn't bloom and the next all of the sudden they BLOOMED? I was like what the heck I thought they died? But wow.. Thanks for the tip on this I should do the same as soon as fall comes around. Mines already died. But I'm hopeing for a better year next... ANd I'm considing buying much more since I only have three... [Frown] Thanks!! [Smile]

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: