The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

in love with ivy

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: in door banana plant| Next thread: In love with pumpkins! »
Back to Thread index
by hinda on June 30, 2005 06:05 PM
my friend gave me afew ivy leaves to try and root and tehn plant. i have no idea what kind of ivy - all i know is that it grew outside and could survive winter in jerusalem (even in the snow)where the low is usually around 3 or 4 degrees CELSIUS. (sorry i have no idea about farenheit) the leaves are three pronged. how should i be rooting them? in water or staright into soil? how much sunlight does it need?
thanks for all your help [gabby]
by tkhooper on June 30, 2005 07:21 PM
You don't have anyway to post a picture do you? That helps identify the plants. And so get better information.

-
 -
by RugbyHukr on June 30, 2005 09:28 PM
I know of 3 types that can definitely handle those temps. I have seen all 3 grow in WV,USA, during winters that include being buried under snow for weeks at a time & zero degree temps.

hedera helix 'english ivy'

hedera canariensis 'algerian ivy'

parthenocissus tricuspidata 'boston ivy'

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by phoenix on July 01, 2005 06:24 AM
at my mothers old house she had ivy growing along and down the front of a stone wall. i picked some and put it in water and had it growing in a big wine goblet for 2 years in just water. the leaves were 3lobed as well so i think you can start them in just water and then transplant into dirt

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by hinda on July 04, 2005 02:58 AM
thanks for the pix rugby but they arent like what i have. i just wish i had a digital camera. oh well.... in the meanitime i have put two leaves in a pot and left a few in water . i'll just wait and see what happens
thanks!
hinda

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: in door banana plant| Next thread: In love with pumpkins! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: