The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Plants Under Lights

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Plants to Attract Honey Bees| Next thread: Plants underneath trees »
Back to Thread index
by Ironside on March 25, 2006 02:31 AM
Here some plants that I am growing from seed. There are geraniums, dahlias, zinnias, and celosia.

http://photobucket.com/albums/e36/Ironside369/?
by Dixie Angel on March 25, 2006 03:09 AM
Looking good! [grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by rozy221 on March 25, 2006 03:31 AM
Great job Ironside!
by comfrey on March 28, 2006 03:48 AM
Very nice looking plants Ironside!

-
 -
by Rosepetal on March 28, 2006 04:41 AM
Great looking plants, its good to see what others are doing.
I started some seeds under lights as well and most are doing just great. Lost my alyssum seedlings tho' and I'm wondering if it wasn't "damping off" that caused this. They formed a moldy film on top and most were dead before I noticed it. [tears] I'm learning!!!

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Ironside on March 28, 2006 09:12 AM
Rosepetal,
I found by giving my plants air circulation, I have no damping off. Give it a try. Also try a product called Soap Shield, you can find it at: http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8066. I use it all of the time.
by ChristinaC on March 28, 2006 09:16 AM
Beautiful job Ironside!! [thumb]
What a GREAT example of how close plants should be to those lights!! A lot of people complain about their plants getting spindly...gotta keep 'em RIGHT beneath those lights!

-
 -
by patches1414 on March 28, 2006 11:57 AM
They look great Ironside. I didn't do that well when I tried starting my geraniums from seed, so I usually start mine from cuttings. [Wink]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by slredmond on March 28, 2006 11:29 PM
Congrats! those look absolutely terrific. When they are real tiny, do you keep a lid on the trays? Last year I found that mine got really dried out if I didn't.

Sandy R.
by Ironside on March 29, 2006 12:08 AM
Once the seeds germinate, remove the plastic wrap and put them under the grow lights. I keep them moist with warm water with a spray bottle. Once they get their first set of true leaves, I water from the bottom.
by slredmond on March 30, 2006 01:38 AM
OK - thanks Ironside. Hopefully I'll have better luck this year!

Sandy R.
by Rosepetal on March 31, 2006 01:33 AM
Ironside

Thanks for the info'. I'm going to start a fan going in the room now. I'm really concerned that my other seedlings remain ok!!!

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Plants to Attract Honey Bees| Next thread: Plants underneath trees »
Back to Thread index