The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Jade plant growing downward

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Jade plant division| Next thread: jade plant help please »
Back to Thread index
by bjoseph73 on October 11, 2004 07:25 AM
I have a jade plant which is about 8 years old. Now the branches are growing downward and the new shoots upward. This gives the plant an undesirable look and does not look nearly a good as it use to. It could have resulted from when I cut off a good sized branch and the whole plant started slumping and I needed to prop it up for a good 3 months till it recovered and could stand on it’s own. I just recently noticed this problems with the branches bending down. The branches are not soft and floppy but strong and firm so it’s not a case of an unhealthy plant. Please help this is my prize plant.
by catlover on October 11, 2004 08:29 PM
Welcome to The Garden Helper bjoseph [wayey]
I am going to move your post to houseplants...(I am presuming yours is in the house...mine are all outside).

I don't know the answer to your question but just want to tell you about my jades. I have several and they are very large.....like I said they are outside. After a certain amt. of time the larger branches start to slump over with their weight but then the new growth toward the middle start emerging making the plant fuller thus getting a rounder fuller taller plant. The base is straight but just the heavier branches bend.
I am thinking if you didn't like the way it is bent after the new growth appears I don't know why you couldn't go just beyond the new growth and clip that off....btw you can make a new planting from that clipped end....but making the cut on the end you will probably be more likely to get several branches coming out that end and more growth.....you could always knock the new starts off if you didn't want that new branch. I would wait til you get more input here before doing anything.
Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Jade plant division| Next thread: jade plant help please »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: