The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Purple Hyacinth Beans

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: purple hyacinth bean vine| Next thread: Purple Hyacinth Beans »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2
by comfrey on March 24, 2006 01:09 PM
I need help or advice...I started some seeds March 11 and there is still no sign of germination. How long does it take? And is there some special requirement for getting them to sprout, I have more seed(beans) if I need to start over. Any help will be appreciated.

-
 -
by Triss on March 24, 2006 02:20 PM
Comfrey, Mine took a couple of weeks to sprout but once they did, they took off. I started mine in a seed house under a light. Now they are in the laundry room in bigger pots but still under a light during the day. I have trimmed most of them back to encourage outward instead of upward growth and so far so good.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by comfrey on March 24, 2006 02:40 PM
Ok...well maybe these will still sprout, I have these in pots inside plastic bag, and under the lights just in case they needed the light. So it has not been a full 2 weeks yet, I don't have very much patience [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 24, 2006 07:36 PM
It took 13 days for my Hycinthia bean vine to sprout. I didn't soak it and used regular potting soil. I didn't tent it and the average temperature inside is 70*F. They are sitting in an east facing window. Hope that helps.

-
 -
by Triss on March 25, 2006 02:09 AM
I am sure they will comfrey, I think they just take a lil more time than we are willing to give them.

-
 -
by angelblossom on March 25, 2006 03:40 AM
Comfrey I started my hyiacnth bean vine I believe it was in January I started moon flower seeds at the same time tho I did nick and soaked them first for 2 days and just put in moist peat moss the moon flower came up first and about 8 days later came the bean vine I finally planted the hy bn vine outside a week ago maybe they just take longer [dunno]  -
this is my first year for them in TX so we'll see!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by loz on March 25, 2006 03:45 AM
I tell you one thing, once they take off they really take off! Mine were usually a little slow to pop up...and then a little slow to get going once transplanted...then they grow like crazy!
by comfrey on March 25, 2006 12:23 PM
Ok..I am still waiting and watching [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] not being patient though!

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 25, 2006 10:12 PM
I found that they fought with one another so I only got one per pot. How did you do yours?

-
 -
by angelblossom on March 26, 2006 11:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
I found that they fought with one another so I only got one per pot. How did you do yours?
I'm not sure who you were asking the question too, but I put two in each cup and I had 4 cups needless to say only 3 made it out strong 2 from 1 cup 1 from another the one by it's self was weak but I ground planted it any way I also planted 3 seeds outside about 2 weeks before we got that hard rain I thought maybe it washed them away but it didn't I looked today and they did move from the rain but they're stead fast and growing. [thumb]

-
 -
by comfrey on March 26, 2006 11:32 AM
I did soak mine for a little while, and I only put three in a flat 6" round container...I have more seed so I think I'll try again doing it alittle different, I still haven't given up on the pot I planted, but just in case.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 31, 2006 01:04 PM
Ok, I gave up on the first try at getting these to sprout. I started a new batch of seeds/beans, this time I didn't soak them, instead I nicked them and and they sprouted in 3 days.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on March 31, 2006 09:50 PM
Yay Comfrey!!! [clappy]

What did you name them? [Big Grin] [Wink]

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 31, 2006 10:01 PM
I've been thinking about sprouting a couple of more. I'll definitely nick them since that worked so well for you. I love the look of them and hope to be able to trade for the other colors this year.

-
 -
by comfrey on April 01, 2006 05:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
Yay Comfrey!!! [clappy]

What did you name them? [Big Grin] [Wink]

They aren't old enough yet, I have to wait for them to tell me what they want thier names to be. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by comfrey on April 01, 2006 05:41 AM
My mom bought some Hyacinth Beans, I told her I would send her some, but she didn't want to wait...She is going to start hers outdoors in the ground, and it is way too early for her to start them, so she has to wait anyway. But I was talking to her about the seeds and how I nicked these and she opened her store bought package, they have a small hole in the end of them, So I am guessing they come (or some of them do) pre-nicked when you buy them commerically, Her packet says to also soak them for a few hours before planting.

-
 -
by endofthewor1d on April 16, 2006 12:51 PM
i planted mine a week ago. they haven't sprouted yet, but i did cheat and dig one of them up to see what was going on. it was nice and plump, and starting to sprout a little appendage, so i guess everything is going okay. they're just slow to start.
i don't know anything about gardening, so please forgive my ignorance when i enquire about 'nicking' the seed. how skillful must one be in the art of nicking to properly nick? and where would one nick a hyacinth bean? i didn't nick any of the ones i harvested from last year's bean. i didn't soak them either. should i have done this? do my little beans even have a chance?
by plants 'n pots on April 16, 2006 12:56 PM
Hi there - welcome to the best gardening forums on the internet!

I have grown these beans for about 5 years now, and have never nicked nor soaked them. It does take a few days for them to sprout, but once they do, they really take off! Just be a little more patient, and they will reward you with a nice flowering vine and then beans.

Do you have the white or purple variety?
Do you have hummingbirds there? They love the flowers on mine.

Lynne

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Triss on April 16, 2006 01:11 PM
I am very upset with mine. I should have just started them outside. I am going to get more seeds and do them when I start the other vines outside as well.

-
 -
by Patty S on April 16, 2006 01:45 PM
I don't know that it's NECESSARY to kick OR soak them, but it does hasten germination.

Instead of "nicking" hard seeds like those of a Hyacinth, I use an emery board & just sand down a spot on the outer "shell" of the seeds. It lets moisture get to the meat of the seed faster, so it can start to swell & make a sprout.

-
 -
by Triss on April 16, 2006 01:54 PM
I did not have troubles with them sprouting at all, just keeping them indoors for this long. They are not liking it much at all.

-
 -
by endofthewor1d on April 16, 2006 06:03 PM
hi all.
thanks for the welcome. i have the white variety. i can't find a lot of information on the white ones on the internet. i guess as for as the technical stuff goes, there isn't much difference. here's what they looked like last year:  -
not bad for a novice, eh?

oh... and there are no hummingbirds around here. only magpies.
by tkhooper on April 16, 2006 07:39 PM
I have the purple and look forward to getting some white in the future. That's one long bean you have there.

-
 -
by endofthewor1d on April 16, 2006 08:29 PM
why... thank you.
by Jiffymouse on April 16, 2006 09:54 PM
i have purple and white, both sprouted nicely, but i have to put some more out because some of them didn't make it after transplant. i am going to put the rest of the seeds i am sprouting outside to sprout, it is supposed to be 91 again today, summer is here already [Razz] [Razz]

i think we had a grand total of 3 days of "spring" weeather.
by Triss on April 17, 2006 01:22 AM
End, Do you have pics of the flowers on the white one?

-
 -
by loz on April 17, 2006 02:51 AM
They don't transplant well....I had some white ones last year but I didn't harvest many seeds from them darn it.
by Triss on April 17, 2006 02:58 AM
Yep Loz, I kinda figured that one - after the fact - [Big Grin] Just a case of live and learn.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 17, 2006 03:41 AM
Oh O that sounds like a aweeeeeeee for loz. Did you get any pictures of the white while you had them?

-
 -
by comfrey on April 17, 2006 10:05 AM
If you nick or sand them..it should be on the most pointed end...I know they are round but the end that is not completely round. Mine are still inside and doing great...I will be putting them outdoors soon and then on to the garden fence for the season. I only had 2 of the three I planted come up....But since I still have more seed I will proable just poke a few more into the ground also.

-
 -
by endofthewor1d on April 17, 2006 04:03 PM
sorry triss.
i bought my camera after the flowers had come and gone. don't fret, though. you shouldn't have to wait too terribly long before this crop starts flowering... if they ever poke their lazy heads out of the ground.

comfrey.
thank you for the nicking advice. in the off-chance that i remember that next year, i'll be sure to give it a try.
by Triss on April 18, 2006 12:58 AM
Looking forward to the pics once you get them End.

-
 -
by endofthewor1d on April 22, 2006 08:58 PM
we have liftoff. one of my lazy beans finally breached the surface of the dirt.
i don't think i have the right temperment for this particular hobby. as soon as i saw one break the surface, i immediately brushed the soil from above all of the other beans to see what was keeping them. is that dangerous? most of them seem to be growing. i hope i didn't inadvertently kill them.
by tkhooper on April 22, 2006 11:27 PM
Congrats End,

Mine have started blooming and they look good. To bad I promised this one to someone else. So tomorrow it is gone. But that's ok, I have 5 more in the dirt.

About trying to remember all this stuff. I've started a hints and tips page in my garden journal. It gives me information about specific things I want to do.

-
 -
by Triss on April 23, 2006 04:41 AM
Great that you have them growing. I think if you did not damage the root system, all should be good with your other sprouts End.

-
 -
by comfrey on April 23, 2006 01:15 PM
The two I have sprouted are going wild, and now I have decided I am goinf to grow them on my arbor instead of the cypress vine...the cypress vine will be on the garden fence. So looks like I need to get some more sprouted in order to cover this huge arbor DH built for me. I don't think the two will cover it.

-
 -
by owlette on April 23, 2006 04:22 PM
Just thought I'd show you mine. No nicks or soaking, just planted 'em! They were up in a few days..They have buds now too!
I'm new here and just have been sort of lurking.Yhis seems like a great place!
Owlette

-

by owlette on April 23, 2006 04:23 PM
O.K. So how do you post photos!!!?????
by loz on April 24, 2006 06:28 AM
Owlette I fixed your pic for you!!!

In the future with photobucket all you have to do is copy and paste the line under the photo that says IMG(for image).....it's that easy...just copy that one line and paste it here! That's why I love photobucket it's super easy to do...you'll get the hang of it in not time! Glad to have you here!

My hyacinths are growing like crazy right now! I just transplanted them along the chain link fence.
by angelblossom on April 24, 2006 08:00 AM
 -

I nicked and started these early feb planted outside in March and blooming in April, they aren't very tall tho will they get taller? And vine?? and continue to bloom??

-
 -
by Wrennie on April 24, 2006 08:34 AM
[tears] It's too cold to even plant them here yet.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by weezie13 on April 24, 2006 08:46 AM
I love those plants..
They are soooo pretty..

I had some, and they got fried a few years
ago when I got sick the first year I had my
green house...

I am going to try a Red Scarlett Runner Bean *I think that's what it's called??? this time.....

Thanks for sharing that picture Diane...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by loz on April 24, 2006 08:48 AM
They'll get WAY taller!!! Way, way taller...I usually plant 3 or 4 along the chain link fence and they cover it over pretty good. [thumb]
by Triss on April 24, 2006 08:50 AM
Those all look so good. Mine just flopped so badly this year. Will have to try them outside next year.

-
 -
by heathrjoy on April 24, 2006 11:06 AM
Hi, I'm new. I just found this site and thread. I'm wondering how deep all of you sowed your seeds? I've never sown or grown Hy Bn before and would really like to give it a try. I have a very limited # of seeds and want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks for your help,
Heather
by comfrey on April 24, 2006 12:46 PM
Owlette...yours look good, mine are vining all over the plant room and I need to get them outdoors.

Angelblossom...Yours look very pretty blooming!

-
 -
by angelblossom on April 24, 2006 01:04 PM
Heather.. When I did mine I nicked the seed and started inside (about an inch below soil surface) as it grew I hardened it off and then planted outside I haven't tried directedly in the soil outdoors tho I believe I may just give it a shot I still have have some seeds so i guess why not.. this is my first attempt at these here in Texas, I imagine I'll just go the same depth I did when I started inside.

Thanks Loz I'm looking forward to them getting fuller and Taller!!LOL [clappy]

Awww Thanks Comfrey!! I love trying new plants, It sure pays off when they bloom for ya HUH??

Weezie your welcome! I posted a pic at the beginning of this thread when I put them in the ground and they survived it [thumb] [grin] Hey it doesn't take much to make me happy ! A little seed, a little growth, and a few leaves and blooms [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by loz on April 24, 2006 02:03 PM
Here's a few old pictures of mine from a few years ago! [thumb] They really take over the chain link fence...it's about 5 1/2 ft high.

-

The brick house in the background is my parents home and where I grew up.
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 24, 2006 02:50 PM
i don't do anything to mine except just cover them and water them good. they did ok last year, and i know will do better this year!
by Bill on April 24, 2006 02:55 PM
The answer is probably already here, but I ask again...
Is a Purple Hyacinth Bean Vine an annual or perennial? [dunno]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: purple hyacinth bean vine| Next thread: Purple Hyacinth Beans »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: