The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Philodendrons and Hybiscus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by stace672 on March 24, 2006 05:25 AM
So, I live in central Texas, and for whatever reason, my crazy husband took the shears to my beautiful (but bare) hybiscus and my extra large split leaf philodendron. Is there any chance that these will return to their original splendor. I mean on the hybiscus he left maybe and inch of the branches sticking out of the ground. They have green leaves on them, but will they grow back up in size? They were dwarf Flaming winds. He also did the same thing to my philodendron. It had 4 "trunks sticking out of the ground and he sawed off the tops of them. I would say that there is maybe 6 inches left on all of them. One of them is sprouting a green something, all of the others look dead. Any suggestions. I would hate to have to dig that one up, it came from my grandmother who just recently passed so it has sentimental meaning to me. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stephanie
by patches1414 on March 24, 2006 08:06 AM
I don't know if you have the hardy hibiscus or the tropical ones? [dunno] I have hardy hibiscus and I always cut mine off to about six inches every year. They come back even bigger and fuller than before. [thumb] [clappy]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by afgreyparrot on March 24, 2006 08:21 AM
stace672... [wavey]
I had a huge philodendron (many years ago) and my husband got mad at me and cut it down to NOTHING. (He said I loved the plant more than him...and I did!)
It grew back...and I divorced the husband! [grin]
Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by cinta on March 24, 2006 11:17 AM
Good for you Cindy. What gets into them.

Patches I bet the Hibiscus will come back. They say to cut them to make them branch they flower on new wood.

I am not sure about philodendron. If you see green it probably will. If you can get some Superthrive. I would give them both some. I use that on all my plants that have been stressed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by stace672 on March 25, 2006 08:36 PM
The Hibiscus is tropical. I don't see any new growth of branches and that is what concerns me. As far as the philodendron goes I am hopeful. I don't know what got into him honsetly. [dunno] I will look into getting some superthrive while I am out and about today to see if I can bring them around. Thanks for all of the good advice. Note to Cindy...Way to go!!! [muggs]

Stephanie
by patches1414 on March 26, 2006 02:08 AM
Hi stace672! [wavey]

Don't give up on your hibiscus, I think it will still come back, but it may take some time. The hibuscus (even the tropical ones) bloom on new growth so just keep looking for signs of new growth coming out of the ground. It's still a little early to notice anything, but give it a couple of months and let me know what happens.

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by hisgal2 on March 26, 2006 02:17 AM
Stace,

I have 2 hibiscus that I've cut down many times. Its not that I don't like them, they are just in a bad spot and they get overgrown, so I keep cutting them down every fall so I don't get my eyes poked out as I walk by them. Maybe this year I'll get to transplanting them. Anyways, I'm thinking yours will grow back....with you living in Texas, the heat will probably do it good. It might just be taking a little rest right now. [Smile]

-
 -

-
by dodge on March 27, 2006 08:48 AM
wow

I must be from another world.......A man jealous of a house PLant??????????????

Should of told him,
YOU CAN'T FOOL MOTHER NATUE.......

GUESS HE WASNT A FARMER..THEY HAVE MANY PLANTS IN THE FIELDS..Us wives dont get made.;o)

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by njoynit on April 02, 2006 12:38 PM
Mine just THREATENS my plants lifes& THAT gets ME MOVEING...shoulda seen me move a rose bush one time as he was heading towards it on the tractor.I would have came in 1st place for dig& remove [thumb]

Philodendron should come back.I move my big one indoors for winter,but my inground one just dies back& returns normally.My big ones in a 25 gallon pot&I'm tempted to just get her a comforter for bad nights.it won't even stay on the dolly no more when I move her.Hibiscus would be iffy.

I hid the weedeater this week. [teacher] See?I'm learning how to save plants [lala] I made sure to leave out all the weedeater line that didn't fit too...just to annoy him.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: