The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Problem with crassula ovata (trumpet jade/ finger jade)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Problem with Calamondin Orange| Next thread: Problem with Dhalia »
Back to Thread index
by sixpluspoo on October 07, 2004 05:42 PM
I have a young trumpet jade that appears to be withering. Many of the leaves resemble gherkin pickles - sort of puckered with tiny bumps on them. I understand this can be caused by either over- or underwatering. In this case, I think I could only have been overwatering. There was one leaf that yellowed and had to come off - there have been no other signs of rot that I know of. So, I have three questions:

1. How should I water for now?
2. How long should it take for the leaves to
plump up?
3. Should I inspect for other signs of rot; if
so, what am I looking for?

Any help is much appreciated.

looney plant lover
by catlover on October 07, 2004 06:05 PM
Are you speaking about the plant in the picture on the bottom left???? finger jade???
Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by sixpluspoo on October 08, 2004 03:44 AM
Yes, that's the one. The tag it came with said it was a finger jade. I haven't seen that reference anywhere else, but I thought maybe someone here would recognize it. Seems like trumpet jade is the more correct common name.

So do you have any ideas?

looney plant lover
by catlover on October 08, 2004 07:05 PM
I have one and it is growing rather well.....none of the fingers are turning yellow but I do have some of the bumps you are talking about....I don't know what it is caused by...sorry....I do know it didn't have any when I had the plant sitting outside under my patio trellis. Now I have it sitting in my north garden window. I like the way I have it planted....the plant is sitting in a large plastic chicken ....then that is sitting in an old chicken egg basket my grandmother had used for many, many years lined with some moss. I wish I had straw and then I would of put that instead of the moss stuff. One of these days I will get some and change it out.

Anybody else know why the fingers are starting to get wrinkly/bumps??????? [dunno] I'm thinking in my case lack of water but no so sure of that.
Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by Bill on October 08, 2004 08:00 PM
I've seen pickle-bumped Jades before and always considered the bumps to just be part of the hybrid or a genetic mutation. If the leaves look healthy otherwise, I wouldn't worry about the bumps.

As for watering Jades.... Thats a "live and learn" what your plant is happy with. I've always soaked the soil thorougly then let it get bone dry... wait 2-3 days and then soak again. During dormancy (Jades need to rest for a month or two every year), let the soil stand dry for 10 days (or longer) and then water moderately, but don't saturate the soil. Start with this as a guide but watch your plant for changes and make adjustments accordingly...

A photo of your jade would be helpful. Are the leaves actually becoming thinner? If there was rot on the upper part of the plant, you would know it, but root rot is far more common. Turn the rootball out of the pot and look for healthy root growth as well as any "slime". If you find that the roots are rotting it will spread fast (even if you let it dry) so you should remove it from the soil and create a cutting from the healthy (no-rot) part of the plant.

Jade Plants: Propagation

Jade Plants: Re-rooting and Re-potting

Jade Plant: Pests and Problems

Jade Plants, Crassula argentea

Jade plants: Sticky Stuff

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Problem with Calamondin Orange| Next thread: Problem with Dhalia »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: