The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I think my house is killing my plants!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Cris on September 26, 2004 06:05 PM
3 months ago, I had BEAUTIFUL plants. I had several healthy spider plants, 2 with numerous babies, a prayer plant, a pythos and a dish garden that who knows what was in it. My spider plants are dying, my pythos is wilting and I am at a loss. I have taken all the plants outside today as it is sunny, but still on the cool side so that the plants will not cook in the sun. I think it is because of the cruddy light that this house gets. My windows face north, but the light that comes in is very limited. What can I do to salvage these plants? This morning I cut all the dead off....broke my heart. And now to add insult to injury, my bul headed dog just knocked over the table outside that all my plants were on. [shocked]

Cris
by BJA001 on October 03, 2004 01:33 AM
A lot of houseplants can withstand low light levels. Are you over watering your plants? A lot of people will water their plants too much and as a result the roots will start to rot. When the roots rot the plant isn’t getting enough water and will start to wilt. If that’s the case, the best thing to do is to take the plant out of the pot and trim the bad rots and then repot the plant in dry soil. Then you hope for the best.

Another thing that could be causing the plants to wilt would be giving them too much in the way of nutrients. Too much nitrogen will “burn” plants. Unfortunately over-loving your plants can do more harm then good.

Good luck!
by Cris on October 03, 2004 01:40 PM
I only water once a week. I am using Miracle Grow potting soil with Moisture Control. I plan on repotting today with a mixture of the moisture control and regular Miracle Grow potting soil. I have also picked up fertilizer spikes to put in the pots as well. I have never used these before. I do plan on cutting back the spider plants to nothing and hoping for the best. What do you think of this plan?

Cris
by TomR on October 03, 2004 05:22 PM
The plants need more light and you MAY be overwatering. Spiders and pothos can go nearly dry between watering. Pothos can stand less light levels but if it is varigated it'll need more light to keep the varigation. Don't use plant food spikes, use a type you mix with water and delute it half of the recommended rate and water every other watering.

And keep the dog away! [Wink]

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by geegeeburr on October 03, 2004 07:53 PM
I used those spikes once ona fuscia (spelling?) and they killed it dead. Then someone told me those spikes "burn" the roots.

-
by Cris on October 04, 2004 01:12 PM
OK, so I should repot? Use Miracle Grow in the water I use to water the plants? Cut back the dying growth? I am not really sure what I can do about the light problem though, this house is very dark. Any other suggestions?

Cris
by weezie13 on October 04, 2004 04:45 PM
Cris,
Not sure exactly HOW to do it, but I have read if you put up some tin foil behind your plants, what light does come in your window will get to your plants but then will also be reflected back into your plants from behind them from the shiney tinfoil and it will help a tad~bit.

I don't know the lay out of your area where the plants are, but attach it to the wall or find something to attach it too...??? I really need a pencil for this one...

Does that make sense??
I'll explain more if I didn't get it out right!!!

Weezie

with the lighting...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by catlover on October 04, 2004 05:32 PM
Doesn't Miracle grow soil have fertilizer in it already????

There was someone on here previously that stated if you used a good potting soil you shouldn't have to fertilize for quite awhile.

I have quite a few houseplants and I very rarely fertilize....that works for me but may not work for you. As far as the variegated pothos....I let mine go til the leaves start looking just a tad bit flimsy and then water thoroughly....put back on top of the curio cabinet and let her go for another week or two. Watering really depends on how hot and dry the house gets.

Hope you sat down with the pooch and had a major discussion about treating your houseplants with respect. I have 5 cats and every now and then a plant will end up making a nose dive for the floor....all the cats look at me with those cute little eyes like I didn't do it! [Roll Eyes] So I blame my 20 year old daughter. [Big Grin]
Catlover [kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: