The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

wrinkled leaves

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2002
« Prev thread: wrinkled leaf hydrangea| Next thread: wrinkled venus fly trap! »
Back to Thread index
by bets92 on October 23, 2002 01:57 PM
I have a Bird Of Paradise plant that is about 8 years old. It has never blossomed. I got it as a stem cutting from Hawaii.

Until the last year the leaves looked healthy and lush. It has gotten 4 leaves in the last year. These leaves have wrinkles near the middle, and they are not as large as the older leaves. The older leaves have brown edges.

The plant does not look healthy or happy.

We live in WI so I leave it inside in a 12" plastic pot with a draining saucer. I usually do not fertilize my house plants during the summer, but from Oct. - May I give them Schultz's Liquid Plant Food 10-15-10. My other house plants look decdnt and do not have an damaged leaf problems.

Any Help or suggestions?

TIA

by Plant Doctor on November 02, 2002 02:41 AM
If the leaf growth is becoming stunted or smaller, and you have brown edges to yor leaves it could be a sign of a few things.
1 Over watering
2 Root rot
3 Underwatering
4 The plant may be root bound

My guess however is that it is becoming root bound, if so just re-plant to a larger size pot. When doing so cut into the roots to encourage new growth. Don't fertilize it for at least a month after transplanting with your normal nitrogen based fert, as this will burn the freshly cut roots. Instead mix a bit of bone meal into the soil. This will help establish new roots.

Good Luck!
Mike

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: wrinkled leaf hydrangea| Next thread: wrinkled venus fly trap! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: