The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fertilizing bulbs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Fertilizing a peperomia| Next thread: Fertilizing Seedlings »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on March 14, 2006 10:02 AM
a neighbor asked me today when you fertilize bulbs- tulips and daffodils and crocus. i think we are supposed to fertilize after it flowers and before the leaves die, correct? so it can "store up" the nutrients for the following spring. am i right? i want to make sure before i tell her.
by Jiffymouse on March 14, 2006 10:21 AM
that's about right.
by patches1414 on March 14, 2006 12:14 PM
Oops, maybe I'm doing something wrong. [dunno] I always fertilize my bulbs in the fall when they are putting out new roots so they can absorb the nutrients. I thought when the bulbs go dormant in the summer their roots die back and they cannot take in nutrients, but maybe that's for zone 5. Then when the temperature cools in the fall the cycle starts all over.

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Francine on March 14, 2006 01:25 PM
hey thanks for the info,call me dumb but i wasn t even aware you have to fertilize bulbs [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] how do you go about in order to do so,please teach me.

Thanks

Franny.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/
by comfrey on March 15, 2006 12:16 AM
Franny unless I am doing it wroung...It is kind of like fertilizing roses....The bulb food I use is granusles and you just sprinkle around the bulbs and mix it in the soil (careful to not disturb the roots). When planting a new bulb bed, bulb food can be added then also, but spring (as soon as the danger of last freeze is past)is the normal time to fertilize your bulbs.

-
 -
by obywan59 on March 15, 2006 12:18 AM
After bloom is too late according to the Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening. They recommend fertilizing just as the new foliage is emerging from the ground. Brent & Beckys Bulbs strongly recommend fertilizing in the fall, which is what I do. The only problem with this is remembering exactly where your smaller clumps of daffodils are.

-
Terry

May the force be with you

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Fertilizing a peperomia| Next thread: Fertilizing Seedlings »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: