The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peace Lily

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Peace Lily| Next thread: peace lily »
Back to Thread index
by Sami on September 19, 2004 09:22 AM
So, I started my new job Sept 1. They had a Peace Lily that had roots growing above the soil & all the plants were lying over the sides of the pot. I asked if I could bring it home & re-pot it & they said yes. I separated all the plants, used some Miracle Grow potting mix & replanted all of them in their own pots. Several of them were very "droopy" before being repotted and very few were standing up straight. Now, even the ones that were straight are somewhat droopy looking. Do you think it is just shock or are some of them permanently droopy? Can I put a stake in the soil & tie a ribbon or something around the stalks to hold them up? Is there anything else I should/could do to help these plants? I have about 15.

-
Talentless but connected.
by Jiffymouse on September 19, 2004 07:49 PM
peace lilies will pout when they are seperated. so, be careful not to over water, and just hold on for the shock to wear off. they will be fine. the biggest challenge will be getting the watering right because the instinct with peace lilies is to water a droopy on. DONT DO IT!! check the soil first.
by ladybogue on September 20, 2004 07:11 AM
Hi,

I would like to know why peace lily should not be watered when it looks droopy. Because a have a big one, about 1 meter high, since like 3 years, and even if I have an hydrometer, I do not use it for this plant. I go with the "droopy" instinct...

And also, I repoted it last spring but I liked its size, so I repoted with new soil in the same pot with cutting a few roots (it was in the same pot for 5 years). But there is still some roots outside the soil. Is this a problem? Should I repot it deeper in the soil? Because it is just so big that repoting this monster alone is such a sport...

Thanks for your tips
by Jiffymouse on September 21, 2004 01:14 AM
using the "droopy" method is fine if you are dealing with an established plant. it is only not valid if you have recently repotted or the soil is soggy.

as for the roots above soil, if the plant looks healthy, don't sweat it. peace lilies are quick to let you know when they are unhappy.
by Sami on September 22, 2004 03:48 AM
Thanks, Jiffymouse! When I repotted these, I was using new potting mix, so it was dry. I watered all of them really well and haven't watered them since. Most of them still have pretty wet soil even though they are in pots that have holes in the bottom. Will they perk back up or will these stalks remain droopy & new ones grow that will look better? If I tied a ribbon, loosely, around the stalks, would it be ok? They all are looking worse by the day and some of the leaves are turning brown. When the soil dries, will they get better?

-
Talentless but connected.
by ShannonM022 on September 27, 2004 09:08 PM
Well I have a peace lily at home and it is a good size. I water mine once every one to two weeks and it does great and even sprouts white blooms. My stalks are very close together so I couldnt tie my plant up like you are saying, but I see no harm in doing that until it gets big enough and strong enough to grow upright. But if it looks droopy water it unless the soil is wet if it is wet leave it alone also try spritzing the leaves with water, they like it.
by Robert Wright on October 04, 2004 01:50 AM
I have a peace lilly. I've had alittle struggle with it but it's doing good. One day i noticed it had a bloom on it. I was so happy. It never bloomed for me before. Robert SpiderPlantMan [wayey]

"Two Green Thumbs"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Peace Lily| Next thread: peace lily »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: