The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bulbs at Lowes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: bulbs| Next thread: Bulbs Flowers »
Back to Thread index
by Ivy9 on March 04, 2006 03:34 AM
Hi everybody,
I went to nearby Lowes yesterday and saw that they all these summer flowering bulbs and strawbwerry plants etc. I live in Chicago and i was wondering should I buy them now? but it is not planting time yet! What do you guys recommend? Basically I want to form a small partial shade garden and there is a sunny spot in front to fill in. I am also interested in trying to grow tomatoes and strawberries in containers. I found a bag of some 10 bulbs for shade garden there and i don't want to lose them if I shop later!!Any input is appreciated
by cinta on March 04, 2006 02:21 PM
Bulbs...If you think they will be gone you can buy them now and put them in a cool place. I am guessing you cannot plant tender bulbs until late May.

If they are Oriental Lilies, Asiatic Lilies, Tiger Lilies you can plant them as soon as you get a Spring thaw. They do not mind being cold.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by patches1414 on March 04, 2006 10:27 PM
You're futher north than I am but that doesn't make any difference with buying the bulbs, just planting them. I've learned to buy what I want when I find them because I've been disappointed too many times when I go back only to find the things I wanted are gone. [tears] I just store them in my garage until it's time to plant them.

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Patty S on March 04, 2006 11:50 PM
Ivy 9, how much are the Strawberry plants selling for there? You might be interested in taking a look at the current thread about Strawberries in pots and towers. Container Tomatoes are pretty cool too... I've had less bug problems with them in pots, for some reason. (Strawberries in containers are SOOO low maintenance, as they're up where Slugs can't get at them, & you hardly ever have to pull a weed!) [grin]

One caution I might mention when buying Nursey stock... a lot of those plants haven't been hardened off, so be sure you ease them into outdoor living by putting them out (not in full sun) & bring them back inside at night for a week or so, before planting them.

Patches is right, as far as I know. Bulbs can go in the ground now, if you can work the soil. Good luck, & happy 2006 gardening! [thumb]

-
 -
by alankhart on March 05, 2006 12:44 AM
Definitely buy now so you get what you want, and as mentioned store them in a cool place. I've often seen their bulbs go bad from sitting in the store for so long...they get mushy and rot. I've already bought a bunch of Oriental and Asiatic lilies and several different Dahlias...and a few elephant ears too. The Lowe's closest to me even has Butterfly Blue Pincushion Flowers in pots. I bought 3 of them but I'm leaving them in the pots for the next 2 weeks in my greenhouse and will then set them outside for a few days so they can acclimate to the cooler temps.

-
 -
 -
by pagarden on March 05, 2006 07:55 AM
i've regreted not buys bulbs when they first come out at the store for the same reason. i wait until the "right" time and by then the ones i want are gone or they are starting to mildew and rot. we were actually at lowes today and as my husband and kids were bugging me "I want to go home", "are you almost done" i started daydreaming about all the stuff i could plant! they even had some nice looking wisteria vines! blackberries, raspberries......
by patches1414 on March 05, 2006 08:28 AM
Maybe I wasn't too clear about when you can plant the bulbs because they can be actually be put in the ground right now, IF, you can get them in the ground. In this area, I keep mine in the garage until I can dig deep enough to plant them because our ground is still frozen about an inch or two down. We've had some pretty warm days here but at night it is still dropping down below freezing so it hasn't stayed warm long enough to thaw the ground further down. [Frown]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Ivy9 on March 07, 2006 01:53 AM
Hi all,
Thanks for your replies.
We had snow in Chicago last night [Roll Eyes] I think I will take your advice and buy the bulbs. I will store them in the garage. The thing is, I have to prepare the ground as this is my first time gardening in the shade. Thanks Patty, I will take a look at the thread, I want to plant strawberries in the container, just hesitating to start [Embarrassed]
by Greenthumb newbee on March 07, 2006 03:26 PM
Hey Ivy9 Greetings from an X Chi-town south sider.

Patio tomatos are great in Large flower pots and produce tomatos. Yep that 3-4 inches of snow was FUN to drive in. I was in town last weekend visiting my folks.
by Ivy9 on March 08, 2006 02:47 AM
Hi Greenthumb,
Greetings
I go to University of Chicago. I want to visit China town, may be in summer!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: bulbs| Next thread: Bulbs Flowers »
Back to Thread index