The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pruning, potting on, and other houseplant recovery issues

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: pruning| Next thread: pruning 2 ficus trees »
Back to Thread index
by janeycanuck on September 06, 2004 12:20 PM
Hello all....

I've been "indoor gardening" for a number of years, but I just inherited sixteen plants from a neighbour who moved away pretty suddenly, and some of them are in need of a bit of rehab and recovery. She neglected them a bit over the last couple of months, but most should survive. However, many of them seem to be, well, overgrown, overpotted, and/or under-attended. One (slightly scraggly) spider plant is in a pot that I'm sure was meant for a tree! And speaking of trees, I have never seen a croton in tree form before....

So my first question is: is it a good or bad idea to downsize a plant into a smaller pot? I am not sure how established the root systems are, but there is no way this spider should be living in a pot this big! Several others seem quite overpotted as well - a couple more spiders, a peace lily (which is really withered and sad-looking), a grape ivy, and one that I think is a dieffenbachia although it has very small, plain leaves. Usually if I want my plants to live in a big pot without it spending all it's energy growing roots, I just stick it (in it's pot) inside a bigger cache pot and fill that up with rocks...so I really don't know what to do!

My second question is...does anyone know if you can air layer a croton? This particular croton has 2 branching tree trunks with clumps of leaves at the end of the branches...the trunks and branches themselves curl around instead of growing straight up, so the tree is about five feet in diameter. I mean, this thing is incredibly unwieldy, and since the only place for it was the bedroom, that means climbing over one another to get out of bed in the night, because the darn thing has taken up so much room!! If I do air layer it, will it sprout new leaves from the chopped down trunks? I had a croton years ago, but I remember it as a little bush, which got killed when the pipes burst one winter....

There is also a rubber plant growing about a foot and a half tall on a single trunk. Do these ever branch out? Does pinching or pruning the tip encourage branching, or is this a no-no with a rubber plant? I have the same question about a Norfolk Island Pine.

Sooooooo....can anyone help? Oh please and thank you in advance! I'm pretty good with the plants I have, but I raised them from babies, and I know all their quirks (and they mine!). Now I feel like a mom who's been put in charge of sixteen foster babies with no medical records!
by Jiffymouse on September 06, 2004 04:26 PM
Hey Janey, welcome to the forum!! now i don't feel so bad (see my post in the gardner's chat plant whore? )

i can't answer all your questions, but i will answer some of them.

first, about the oversized pot issue... yes, you can safely downsize. i do it all the time when i discover i've neglected a plant (work, kids, and all that...) spiders and peace lilies do very well when you down size.. just be sure to cut any extraneous roots on the peace lily with a sharp knife, they don't respond well to "pulling apart"

second, i have no clue about the croton.

third, if you really want a bushy rubber plant (ficus elastica) that is very easy to accomplish. just make a clean cut right below the leave node at the desired height. then strip that leaf, dip the cutting in rooting hormone and plop it into the pot next to the mother plant. you will have a pot full in no time!!
quote:
Originally posted by janeycanuck:
Hello all....

I just inherited sixteen plants from a neighbour who moved away pretty suddenly,

Sooooooo.... I'm pretty good with the plants I have, but I raised them from babies, and I know all their quirks (and they mine!). Now I feel like a mom who's been put in charge of sixteen foster babies with no medical records!

good luck and keep us posted!
by janeycanuck on September 07, 2004 01:48 AM
Thanks for that! If my mother wasn't coming to visit tomorrow, I'd be doing that repotting instead of cleaning! (Come to think of it, what the heck am I doing online??)

I am going to post in your plant whore thread....LOL, that's me!

Oh, by the way, do you know if I can do the same thing to the N. Island Pine as the rubber plant?
by Jiffymouse on September 07, 2004 03:11 AM
well, hmmf. i have no clue, and went to my trusty dusty favorite plant book and guess what?! IT DIDN'T SAY imagine that [Razz] i am upset... that is the first and only time this book didn't have my answer!

ok, enough of the pouting... i don't know, but i will be trying to find the answer, just 'cause i want to know
by mich168 on September 08, 2004 07:03 AM
It's perfectly ok to downsize a plant, most will respond quite well.
You got a good answer on the jade and I don't know about the other.

Ugh, I have to tackle my monster spider plant, one of these days. It could use a bigger pot, but that's not an option, I can barly lift the thing, as is. You don't even want to know what I do to that plant! LOL. It's always thrived, though.

-
 -
by janeycanuck on September 08, 2004 01:40 PM
Heh heh, well, I accidentally dumped one of the spiders tonight, and by dumped, I mean dumped in a BIG way. [Embarrassed] [Roll Eyes] The soil was pretty loose - it totally fell away from the roots. Sooooo, spidey #1 got downsized, quickly (emergency surgery?), amidst the supper leftovers on the table (with my now-visiting mother giving lots of unsolicited advice, of course!!). Actually I was surprised how little of it there was worth potting up. It was in a 12 inch pot, but I got only about 4 decent clumps out of it! One clump has tubers in the root system...I assume this is healthy and normal?? It's been years since I raised a spider...and I don't recall ever repotting that sucker (I just gave her periodic haircuts, and then passed along her babies to friends....and even to strangers at one point!)

*contemplates the N. Island Pine, which looks a little bit like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree at the moment*

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: pruning| Next thread: pruning 2 ficus trees »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: