The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

just what a Yucca needs to live?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: just went shopping...| Next thread: Just Wisteria Thinking »
Back to Thread index
by pelachrum on September 04, 2004 01:25 AM
I purchased a Yucca few months ago. For the first several weeks it's been doing all right. However, recently bad things started to happen.

This is what the situation looks like right now:
- The inner leaves dried completely (I revmoved them figuring that dead leaves won't help the plant in any way),
- Tips of about 30-40% of all leaves started turning black
- The new leaves that grew were doing ok at first but now they're "breaking" half way up (they stay in one piece but look like they can't support their weight and bend over).
Overall not a pretty sight.

What are optimal conditions for those trees and how much water they require? Mine stands by a window however there's not much direct light coming at it. I water once every two weeks (1.5 gallons). I have it set up so that all of the water that flushes through the soil is removed. One last thing... I keep it in the same pot that it came with. I'm thinking if it's sufficient though since the roots extend now several inches outside the pot (through the holes at the bottom)

Help my plant!
Thank you
by gardenmom32210 on September 04, 2004 09:33 PM
I think you might need to repot it. If the roots are growing out of the pot that could be one of the problems.
Yuccas also need ALOT of sunlight. Outside in full sun would be the best...if you wish to keep it inside you need to put it in the sunniest place you have.

Oh yeah...Welcome to the forum [wayey] I'm glad you could join us!

Karen [grin]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: just went shopping...| Next thread: Just Wisteria Thinking »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: