The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

peace lily

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Peace Lily| Next thread: peace lily about to flower? »
Back to Thread index
by mschultz323 on January 18, 2006 08:24 AM
help!! My peace lily was exposed to cold air and now half the leaves are soft and drooping. Should I cut them or leave them? Will my plant survive?
by mrsmessy on January 18, 2006 08:36 AM
Water it thoroughly and see how it is in the morning. If it isn't improved cut them off quickly before they suck the life out of the rest of them. Cut them as close to the base as possible. It should survive for many years. I've nearly killed mine a few times too.

-
Bev
by mschultz323 on January 20, 2006 07:21 AM
thanks for the tip, it didnt do too well in the am so I cut all the bad leaves. It seems to be doing ok now, I hope it survives!!
by mrsmessy on January 22, 2006 01:01 PM
how does it look after a couple of days?

-
Bev
by Amber Petersen on January 23, 2006 10:19 PM
I have a peace lilly at work, and just this morning we moved it from a darker location to right under a light, (for cosmetic resons) I know they can handle little light, but will the extra light HURT it?

-
Amber
by mrsmessy on January 24, 2006 12:30 AM
It shouldn't hurt. In the summer I put all of mine on the front porch where it gets direct east light for about 2 hours every day and they are healthy looking plants after 5 or 6 months of that.

-
Bev
by Cricket on January 25, 2006 05:51 AM
Amber, though peace lilies will survive in lower light, they really do best in bright indirect light. Be careful not to give them direct sunlight as the leaves easily burn. I don't put mine outdoors for the summer because the paper-thin leaves don't hold up well to the elements (wind easily shreds the leaves) but if you do decide to summer them outdoors, make sure they are in a sheltered location protected from both sun and wind.
by mschultz323 on January 28, 2006 10:41 PM
after a week and a half, my peace lily doesnt seem any worse, nor does it look any better. Any suggestions?
by margaret e. pell on January 29, 2006 06:28 AM
Time. Whatever was going to die did and you took care ot it. Good for you, but new growth doesn't happen overnight. Plants teach us patience.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Rosepetal on February 11, 2006 11:36 AM
My peace lily got a cold draft a year ago and many leaves turned brown. I cut off all the brown ones I could see and gave it lots of tender loving care, now its finally turning into a nice plant again. No blooms yet though.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by youngd24 on February 14, 2006 11:05 AM
Here's one for ya. We're on our 4th Peace Lily and I believe we've *finally* gotten it right. Boy are they picky!

The first one was purchased for my birthday and made it a month or so. Repotted it about a week after purchase into the 'self watering' pot it came with. After over watering that one, it died off victoriously.

Now, feeling guilty that I killed my b'day present, I went to the local supermarket and picked up another (smaller) one. Got that home, repotted it and proceeded to under-water that one. Bye bye.

Not sure what I did to #3, could have been the location near the microwave. Trial and error again? Shhh, I might have done that one on purpose..

At this point I had given up on these things because I've kept all sort of other stuff alive EXCEPT these things. So, the boss went out and picked up yet another one that was really healthy (and $20). And of course, what do I immediately think when I see it (despite the frustration)??? Split the bugger! You'd think I would have learned by this point right?

I repot what we'll call A into the pot that my b'day one died in (vengance) and put what we'll call B back into the plastic crap it came in. A few days later what was happening? They're both falling over, leaves whining and brown appearing. At that point I officially gave up, that's it, I'm done and going back to stuff like orchids and violets.

Now, in the midst of this, the boss decides she's gonna one up me and moves them to a different room /window, water them less but more regularly and NOT fertilize them EVER. And guess what freakin' happens???? 2 months later and we have 2 healthy plants.....

Picky.
by Aaron_D on February 15, 2006 12:58 AM
I have a peace lilly that droops constantly. When I first recieved it, some of the leaves were in pretty bad shape. I cut these off, but the remaining leaves were still drooping. I repotted the lilly, it was doing fine for a while, the leaves perked up, but then drooped. Now all of the leaves are drooping. These is some new growth, but these are drooping as well. I water it once a week, I keep it in a space that has very little direct sunlight and is in the shade alot. I am not very knowledgeable about plants, obviously. How often should I water my peace lilly, how much sunlight should it recieve and do peace lillys do better in partial light, full light, or shade?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Peace Lily| Next thread: peace lily about to flower? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: