The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

rose parade impatiens

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Rose of Sharon Seeds| Next thread: Rose Parade Impatiens »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on March 01, 2006 02:39 AM
The rose parade impatiens I got from Burpee's is causing me some concern. They are comming straight up the main stem without branching. The double bloom impatiens I got a few years ago as a starter plant had many many branches. Should I pinch off the top or not. I only have 5 plants out of the entire package I planted. So, I don't really want to experiment if someone knows for sure.

I appreciate any light you can shed on the subject. Maybe it's just to small yet to be branching. I started them a couple of weeks ago.

-
 -
by dodge on March 02, 2006 10:09 AM
Cannot answer your question, but an going to ask you one>....
Do you have seeds for the Double Impatients? I am hunting far an near.. Was they Gurney plants?
[Wink]
thanks for lookin..
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by tkhooper on March 03, 2006 09:31 PM
I got the seeds from Burpee's. That's the only place I found them. They are a double bloom which is what I wanted. There were only about 50 seeds in the package and I shared them with another member. And of the 25 I planted only 5 came up. But from what I understand they are easy to take cuttings from so I will try that once they bush out and hopefully I will have some to trade for next year. I wish I could do better. I bought the red and hopefully I will be able to get the pink and white at a later date. The seed packet cost 4.95 each not including shipping so it was expensive.

Most of the time Burpee's is out of the seeds so you have to watch the online catalog very carefully to catch them when they are in.

-
 -
by dodge on March 05, 2006 06:30 AM
sorry to hear that.

I know they are asking $7.95 postage and more on that........
I am hunting doubles......I [Cool]
had those once and they are listed at places, but no way with that postage , will I order.
Live and learn........
Thanks for letting me know.
Only 5 germinating , is not a good percent for a seed company..Our swaps do better .
Thanks again for responding.

dodge

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 05, 2006 09:21 PM
Well I read the part where they are suppose to be easy to root cuttings from so I'll definitely try that once they branch and get in their permanent home. With that Hopefully I'll get enough plants that collecting seeds won't be a problem and I'll have lots to trade next year.

-
 -
by dodge on March 06, 2006 09:21 AM
lET ME KNOW IF YOU EVER GET SEEDS.. FROM THOSE.
RIGHT NOW I HAVE WALLERENA SEEDS GROWING AND SOMEONE SAID THEY ARE IMPS ......?
OR ARE CALLED TOUCH ME NOTS?
DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING OF THAT? THEY ARE ABOUT 5 INCHES TALL RIGHT NOW..........
THEY LOOK LIKE MY BUSH BALSAMS......iS THIS THE SAME? I USE BUSH BALSAM FOR WEED CONTROL.. THEY COME BACK SO THICK, AND KEEP WEEDS DOWN, I LET THEM GROW TILL I NEED THE SPOT, THEN I REMOVE THEM AND PLANT OTHERS.;O) WORKS 4 ME.

LOL
DODGE

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 07, 2006 03:06 AM
I don't know the answer to any of your questions. I guess that proves I'm a newbie too. I have some balsam that I plan to plant later on in the year. It sounds like it will be really pretty. Touch me nots are out of my range of experience but I'll look forward to your posts about them when they come up.

Hopefully I'll get my camera working here in the not distant future and I'll be able to show you what the plants look like so far.

-
 -
by dodge on March 07, 2006 04:59 AM
OK..TJ
I will update as it progresses, lets hope I am not planting Bush Balsam again,, !
[Roll Eyes]
Where's MIKE
when we need him?

lol
Dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rose of Sharon Seeds| Next thread: Rose Parade Impatiens »
Back to Thread index